Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

TMobile disable wifi and use Orbi?

rinibean
Aspirant

TMobile disable wifi and use Orbi?

Hi,

We have a T-mobile home internet modem/router combo and an Orbi RBR40 with two satellites. The T-mobile devices is relatively new. Previously, we had a Blazing Hog modem and the Orbi as our router. Worked fine.

The T-mobile is an LTE modem/router combo. We initially set our Orbi up as an access point. That has worked fine except that I've lost my Circle parental controls, which apparently cannot be used in AP mode. I would like those back.

I spoke to T-mobile and have the instructions on how to disable their Wi-fi (just a couple clicks through their gateway). In theory, I should be able to disable theirs and then put the Orbi back into router mode. However, I spent hours this afternoon working on it and cannot get it to work. I have deleted and added the Orbi app back in, unplugged and plugged things in over and over again.

When I disable the T-mobile wireless, move the Orbi back into Router mode, and plug the Orbi into the modem, the Orbi just cannot pick up the internet from the modem. I have a computer hard-wired into the modem, so I know the modem is working properly. When the Orbi shines, it's magenta and shows "offline" in the Orbi app.

I really don't know what else to do. I'm not especially technical, so if you reply please talk to me like I'm a complete novice so that I can understand what you're suggesting. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Message 1 of 11
vajim
Master

Re: TMobile disable wifi and use Orbi?

Try this

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

This is your problem:   The T-mobile is an LTE modem/router combo

Message 2 of 11
rinibean
Aspirant

Yes, I'm aware of this. As I said, I have been using our Orbi as an access point up until now so I'm aware of how to set it up this way. However, I cannot use the Circle parental controls when the Orbi is only an AP.

T-mobile has indicated I can disable their router in the modem/router combo, and use my own router. I have disabled the router portion of the T-mobile LTE, but I cannot get the Orbi to pick up from there as a router. 

Message 3 of 11
vajim
Master

@rinibean wrote:

Yes, I'm aware of this. As I said, I have been using our Orbi as an access point up until now so I'm aware of how to set it up this way. However, I cannot use the Circle parental controls when the Orbi is only an AP.

T-mobile has indicated I can disable their router in the modem/router combo, and use my own router. I have disabled the router portion of the T-mobile LTE, but I cannot get the Orbi to pick up from there as a router. 

You're talking parental control and orbi not acting as a router 

I'll bow out for I'm not understanding your problem 

imho you've got 2 or 3 problems..... the t-mobile, the parental controls and possibly firmware issues 

good luck

Message 4 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@rinibean wrote:

Having "two routers" (back-to-back) is the dreaded "Double NAT" situation which interferes with some specific applications, such as VPN, opening ports, and some internet gaming. When there is a problem, the solution is to change either the ISP device or the Orbi to no longer be a router.

My first step would be to reset the T-mobile back to factory settings, set the Orbi as a router, and connect it to the T-mobile.

Do you have a link to the T-Mobile modem's User Manual?

Message 5 of 11
rinibean
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@rinibean wrote:

Having "two routers" (back-to-back) is the dreaded "Double NAT" situation which interferes with some specific applications, such as VPN, opening ports, and some internet gaming. When there is a problem, the solution is to change either the ISP device or the Orbi to no longer be a router.

My first step would be to reset the T-mobile back to factory settings, set the Orbi as a router, and connect it to the T-mobile.

Do you have a link to the T-Mobile modem's User Manual?

Hi, thank you. I have already tried this unfortunately and still cannot get it to connect. When the T-mobile router is off, and the Orbi is turned back into router mode, the light on the Orbi is magenta (or no light) and in the Orbi app it says "offline." It just can't seem to pull the internet signal into the Orbi from the modem. 

I'm not sure what's happening, except that maybe there is some small setting somewhere that might need to be adjusted.

Message 6 of 11
rinibean
Aspirant

@vajim wrote:

@rinibean wrote:

You're talking parental control and orbi not acting as a router 

I'll bow out for I'm not understanding your problem 

imho you've got 2 or 3 problems..... the t-mobile, the parental controls and possibly firmware issues 

good luck

The parental controls are a side issue that will resolve itself once the Orbi is working as a router. That can be disregarded for now if it helps.

I realize that most people just use the Orbi as a AP and keep the LTE router. But, I want to do the opposite and disable the LTE router and keep the Orbi functioning as a router. This is what I can't ge to work. I'm not sure if that helps clarify.

Message 7 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@rinibean wrote:

Hi, thank you. I have already tried this unfortunately and still cannot get it to connect. When the T-mobile router is off, and the Orbi is turned back into router mode, the light on the Orbi is magenta (or no light) and in the Orbi app it says "offline." It just can't seem to pull the internet signal into the Orbi from the modem. 

I understand, but that is not what I suggested.  My suggestion is to put the T-Mobile back into its factory reset state, which is a combination modem/router/WiFi. (would still like to know the exact product number in order to look up the user manual on-line.) And put the Orbi back into its factory reset state (router mode). Then, connect Orbi WAN port to the T-Mobile modem.

Message 8 of 11
rinibean
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@rinibean wrote:

I understand, but that is not what I suggested.  My suggestion is to put the T-Mobile back into its factory reset state, which is a combination modem/router/WiFi. (would still like to know the exact product number in order to look up the user manual on-line.) And put the Orbi back into its factory reset state (router mode). Then, connect Orbi WAN port to the T-Mobile modem.

Sorry, forgot to include the link last time:

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/public-files/images/devices/manual/T-Mobile%20LTE%20Wi-Fi%20Gateway...

I have done all the factory resets and putting items back into their factory state, but have not used the WAN port. I have only used the LAN port. Would other settings also need to change? 

Message 9 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@rinibean wrote:

Sorry, forgot to include the link last time:

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/public-files/images/devices/manual/T-Mobile%20LTE%20Wi-Fi%20Gateway...

I have done all the factory resets and putting items back into their factory state, but have not used the WAN port. I have only used the LAN port. Would other settings also need to change? 

The Orbi will connect ONLY using the WAN port.  It knows "the WAN port is where the internet is."

Message 10 of 11
vajim
Master

@rinibean wrote:

The parental controls are a side issue that will resolve itself once the Orbi is working as a router. That can be disregarded for now if it helps.

Perhaps, however there are lots of folks have experienced problems with the aprental controls after updating their firmware.  Only mentioned it because you did and not knowing what firmware you hace.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7