Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi WiFi "capped"

demeeder
Star

Orbi WiFi "capped"

I have a 300/50 ISP.  Wired I am getting ~250/50 on all machines.

Wireless, regardless of what I use (laptops, desktop using just WiFi, iOs) I seem to be capping out at 100 Mbps.  This is the case right next to the router or across the room.

I have tried both with the Orbi as a Router or as an AP.  Same WiFi speeds.  

When I first installed the Orbi a few months ago I was getting >200 Mbps via WiFi.

Firmare: 1.9.1.12

I have not made any chages to settings since installation.  I am using all ethernet connections available.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 12
gfrey
Apprentice

Did you enable QoS?  That would cap your speed.  I don't use QoS and I get 300Mbps near both of my Satellites.

Message 2 of 12
demeeder
Star

I did not.  I accessed QoS through /QOS_dynamic.htm and QOS_main.htm to verify.

Thanks though.  Very frustrating.  Plugged in I get full spend.  Sitting right next to the router in WiFi it struggles to hit 100.  (today seems even slower!)

Message 3 of 12
demeeder
Star

using iPerf3 these are the results I am seeing:

Wired (iMac) to Wired (MBP) on the same main router - 950 Mbps (as expected)

Wired main router to WiFi on main router (moving the 2013 MBP around the room within 5 feet of the router) - 190-229 Mbps

Wired to wired (main to satellite testing the backhaul) - 194 Mbps

Wired to satellite and Wifi from Satellite (via iphone7) - 405 Mbps

Wired to router and Wifi from router (via iphone7) - 369 Mbps

Clearly the backhaul has an issue.  The router is upstairs and satellite downstairs.  About 40 feet away, not much in the way of obstructions (save it sitting somewhat behind a monitor).

That said, backhaul in the past was much better.  I have not moved the equipment since initial install.

Message 4 of 12
OrbiMan
Luminary

Dem can use download some wifi app like wifi Explorer to map out the backhaul signal strength. See our thread on backhaul drop to 0.
Message 5 of 12
OrbiMan
Luminary

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-backhall-signal-dropping-to-Zero/m-p/1284590#M7077

Please post any info that u can gather with wifi scanner app. Backhaul is likely on channel 157
Message 6 of 12
st_shaw
Master

Your numbers look about right, except for the backhaul.  Your MBP must be an early 2013 model with the 802.11n WiFi.  The iPhone 7 is 802.11ac and supports faster transfers.

You should get 500+ Mbps throughput across the backhaul. If you had faster backhaul speeds before, then something probably changed in your RF environment.  Maybe a neighboring access point, or a new source of interference.

You can use a WiFi analyzer to look for interferers. You could also try relocating the satellites and/or router to see if you get a better connection.

Message 7 of 12
demeeder
Star

Thanks.  I will analyze it tonight when I get home.  I agree, it is likely some new interference.  Or so I hope.

Message 8 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi demeeder,
Just curious if you found anything interesting with Wi-Fi Analyzer or noticed the backhaul signal dropping, thanks.
Message 9 of 12
demeeder
Star

My apologies for the delay. Separately I have been dealing with issues using the newly installed Pace 5168NV from Hawaiiantel. Doesn't like to stay online.

Using the network diagnostics on OS X, I found the hidden channel and was able to possibly find a couple better spots for the router and satellite (required cutting holes in walls to route network cables!!). In their new positions I can get ~500Mbps across the backhaul (2013 MBP to 2015 iMac via iPerf3). I am okay with this, but admit that the original loacations were not that far away and I would think the design would support not requiring the two devices being only about 30 feet apart and almost line of sight. Oh well.

Separate question. With the 5168 not working well, I have bypassed it and have plugged the orbi directly into the cat5 coming into the house. Unfortunately this prevents me from having tv. My thought is to use a switch from the cat5 in the house with one line going to the orbi and another going to the 5168. Would this disrupt the integrity of the orbi network? Just want to be able to watch tv without actually using the router features of the router (bridge mode is not an option).
Message 10 of 12
demeeder
Star

Slide1.JPG

Message 11 of 12
demeeder
Star

This setup appears to be working.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors