× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi and Century Link C3000Z

WhittleJ
Aspirant

Orbi and Century Link C3000Z

I have purchased a Netgear Orbi mesh network to increase my bandwidth in my home using Century Link's C3000Z modem/router. I have read the below conversations and have watch youtube videos and contact century link to gain access to my PPPoE password to use the Orbi in conjunction with my C3000Z modem/router. As all of the previous conversations have been posted for 3 years.

I am seeking out further help to see if using the Orbi and Century Link C3000Z router is possible?
I have tried:

1) Place the CenturyLink modem in transparent bridge mode and use Orbi in Router mode. (Confused on the admin controls going through the IP address)
2) Use the CenturyLink modem as is (in router mode) and use Orbi in Access Point mode. (Confused using admin controls on the IP website, switching off the wifi radio option)

Even after attempting all I believe I could try, I wonder if there is more for me to do or did I by a system that just is not compatible with Century Link C3000Z fiber internet? If anyone out there who is tech smart and breaks it down step by step that would be very useful. I appreciate your time and your responses.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
WhittleJ
Aspirant

Re: Orbi and Century Link C3000Z

Thank you for the reply. You are a 100% correct in putting the Orbi into Access Point mode. I was not told to do this through the website (on a computer not the app). I was told to use the app. Using the website made it was way easier. This little step (website not app) was not mentioned in all the forms. Once you go to Orbi.com you can easily put it into AP mode and follow the steps to connect to the Orbi WiFi not the century link WiFi.

This is the Information that needs to be shared instead of assumed everyone knows. So hopefully the next person who has century link and buys the Orbi can know that it’s easy once you know to use the website not the app to switch to AP mode.

My upload went from:
50 Mbps to 920 Mbps
Download went from:
10 Mbps to 496 Mbps
This was as far from the Orbi router with 3 Apple TV’s, 4 iPhones (2 FaceTiming), Xbox playing, 3 iPads playing movies, ring cameras, and two laptops playing movies...

With this increase I absolutely love this purchase!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 2 of 8
WhittleJ
Aspirant

So I understand. Just plug in the Orbi router to the wall completely disregard the C3000Z modem/router? The thread you sent me to is the exact one i was reading but I was not fully understanding what to do. I could not reply and ask for clearfication due to the thred being closed. Thank you for your response. 

Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

not sure...i found it, as I now know you did....perhaps other will join in.

If it were me and I didn't have to use the Century Link gear I would leave it out.  But you do need a modem.

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@WhittleJ wrote:
I have purchased a Netgear Orbi mesh network to increase my bandwidth in my home using Century Link's C3000Z modem/router. I have read the below conversations and have watch youtube videos and contact century link to gain access to my PPPoE password to use the Orbi in conjunction with my C3000Z modem/router. As all of the previous conversations have been posted for 3 years.

I am seeking out further help to see if using the Orbi and Century Link C3000Z router is possible?
I have tried:

1) Place the CenturyLink modem in transparent bridge mode and use Orbi in Router mode. (Confused on the admin controls going through the IP address)
2) Use the CenturyLink modem as is (in router mode) and use Orbi in Access Point mode. (Confused using admin controls on the IP website, switching off the wifi radio option)

Even after attempting all I believe I could try, I wonder if there is more for me to do or did I by a system that just is not compatible with Century Link C3000Z fiber internet? If anyone out there who is tech smart and breaks it down step by step that would be very useful. I appreciate your time and your responses.

Message 5 of 8

It may be no. 3 on the list from  @FURRYe38, but a lot of Orbi users run their devices in AP mode. The big thing about Orbi is the wifi technology. On the router front, it isn't wildly superior to anything else.

Experienced users do like to have separate modems and routers.

Cable modem/routers are particularly painful because you have no control over firmware updates. That is down to the ISP, and many are reluctant to roll out updates.

Message 6 of 8
WhittleJ
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply. You are a 100% correct in putting the Orbi into Access Point mode. I was not told to do this through the website (on a computer not the app). I was told to use the app. Using the website made it was way easier. This little step (website not app) was not mentioned in all the forms. Once you go to Orbi.com you can easily put it into AP mode and follow the steps to connect to the Orbi WiFi not the century link WiFi.

This is the Information that needs to be shared instead of assumed everyone knows. So hopefully the next person who has century link and buys the Orbi can know that it’s easy once you know to use the website not the app to switch to AP mode.

My upload went from:
50 Mbps to 920 Mbps
Download went from:
10 Mbps to 496 Mbps
This was as far from the Orbi router with 3 Apple TV’s, 4 iPhones (2 FaceTiming), Xbox playing, 3 iPads playing movies, ring cameras, and two laptops playing movies...

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya the Orbi app is mostly a mobile app to get the system up and running with a basic configuration. Any more advanced settings will need to be done with the routers web page. I would be nice if NG added AP Mode setup to the app though. Sure it would be helpful. 

Glad it's working well now. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@WhittleJ wrote:

My upload went from:
50 Mbps to 920 Mbps
Download went from:
10 Mbps to 496 Mbps

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7