× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi connection

Poomero
Aspirant

Orbi connection

I just bought an Orbi rbk50 and I am confused. When I set the orbi up I had to log in and then my internet wasn't working. I then logged into my wifi router and it worked. Do I stay logged into the router or o I need to log in to orbi?
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
Poomero
Aspirant

Re: Orbi connection

I did option 3. It is now working but the signal is not much better then waht it was pre orbi. Do you know if there is a way to test where I will ge tthe strongest signal? I saw the pics but those dont do much. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 17

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@Poomero wrote:
I just bought an Orbi rbk50 and I am confused. When I set the orbi up I had to log in and then my internet wasn't working. I then logged into my wifi router and it worked. Do I stay logged into the router or o I need to log in to orbi?

The Orbi does not require anyone to be logged in to function.  Perhaps there is some confusion between the three types of Orbi logins:

• The Orbi WiFi SSID/password.
    Needed for devices to connect via WiFi.
  • The Orbi administrative password (user name is always "admin"), which gains access to the Orbi web management interface.
  • The Netgear account login, which is used to access the Orbi "app".

So, the initial login was which one?

Message 2 of 17
Poomero
Aspirant

I have no idea. It shows orbi when I search my wifi settings. I can login and then the internet doesn't work. I'm not great at this stuff.
Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Have you powered OFF the ISP Modem and RBR for 1 minute then back on with the modem then the RBR? You might do this then reset the RBR to factory defaults and walk thru the set wizard with a wire connected PC and web browser pointed at 192.168.1.1 or orbilogin.com

@Poomero wrote:

Message 4 of 17
Poomero
Aspirant

The router is a Netgear c3700. I have reset it and done the set up again. I dont know how to do the wired set up though. I will have to emss with this later because I am working now and need internet. 

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

The C series modem already has a built in router and WiFi. 

You can bridge or disable NAT/router and wifi on the C series modem then use the RBR in router mode. Review the user manual for the modem regarding this.

Do this when you get a moment. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/What-s-the-Difference-Between-a-Cable-Modem-an...

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 6 of 17
Poomero
Aspirant

You are speaking a different language. I will take a look and see what I can come up with. 

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. 

Message 8 of 17
Poomero
Aspirant

I did option 3. It is now working but the signal is not much better then waht it was pre orbi. Do you know if there is a way to test where I will ge tthe strongest signal? I saw the pics but those dont do much. 

Message 9 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Poomero wrote:

what firmware are you using?

Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

WiFi Sweet Spots on a phone or pad can help. 

Try and find a wifi analyzer on a pad if you have one. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Poomero wrote:

Message 11 of 17
Poomero
Aspirant

I have no idea. How do I see that? What is reccommended? 

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

You can find the version on the RBRs web page at orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1 in a web browser.

Message 13 of 17
Poomero
Aspirant

It says I am using   V2.5.1.8

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Try some of the suggestions. 

Please give feedback to the questions presented if you can. 

A factory reset and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser connected to the RBR maybe needed. 

Message 15 of 17
Poomero
Aspirant

Why would I need to try anything more? I have it all working now. 

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, if so, make a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. 

Mark your thread as solved. 

Now enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series