Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi software deconstruction

rhester72
Virtuoso

Orbi software deconstruction

This sort of information seems to interest people, so I'm going to share my *VERY RAW* notes about some interesting things I've observed under-the-hood on the Orbi.  I'm far from done, but a good number of my fundamental questions about the devices have been answered so far, with more yet unknown (e.g. is Ethernet backhaul _really_ that difficult?  What would it take to enable USB and Samba?  How does the full firmware update process *really* work?).

Enjoy, and I'll post more as I come across it - fully analyzing and deconstructing one of these things is difficult in the best case, and the Orbi in particular is REALLY difficult, being a hodge-podge of massively-modified OpenWRT, R7500 cruft, and God-knows-what-else...it is a MESS under the hood, but it mostly works!  I still need to compile a few utilities to install myself (dmidecode in particular) to get a (much) better view of the hardware side of things.

Completely raw, terse notes:

/bin/fbwifi
  Facebook Wifi Portal
  R7500
  NETGEAR Facebook Captive Portal version
  Missing libssl and libcrypto, cannot function
/bin/ookla
  Ookla command-line speed test tool
  Missing settings.txt
/bin/readycloud_nvram
  In addition to /bin/nvram, sets ReadyCloud-specific parameters?
/cloud_version
  Contains a date, but cloud what?
/dev
  Suggests Atheros chipset and hardware RNG
/proc/cpuinfo
  Shows Qualcomm "ARMv7 Processor rev 5 (v71) at 26.81 bogomips with 4 cores
/etc/appflow
  Contains AppFlow/StreamBoost
/etc/athx100.conf
  Suggests Atheros XSpan chipset, hard-coded PSK of 12345678
/etc/config/hd-idle
  HD idle time of 30 minutes is enabled, presumably for future USB (NAS?) support
/etc/config/hyd
  Qualcomm Hy-Fi, perhaps the underlying engine supporting satellite?
/etc/config/repacd
  Contains data on guest backhaul (defaults to 2.4GHz?), LED state changes, etc.
/home/fileinfo.txt
  Encrypted on FTP server, unencrypted contains md5sum and size for img (currently RBR50-V1.4.0.16.img) including localization data
/home/log/messages
  "Public" log (the one displayed in the router web GUI)
/home/log/log-message
  "Private" log containing logins and firmware checks via SOAP
/home/netscan
  Contains data on attached devices, including StreamBoost levels per device
/home/netwall-rules
  Appears to be a list of iptables rules for default ACCEPT and DROP on localnet (and a disturbing number of them are in ACCEPT)
/home/ping_netgear_result
  Results of latest 2-packet ping to a Netgear-owned AWS site (used to determine if Internet is up?), occurs once per minute?
/home/ping_result
  Similar to above, but 4 packets and less frequent (every 3 hours?)
/home/satellite_attached_dev
  Devices attached to satellite(s) in XML format
/home/satellite_device_info
  MAC, IP, name, version, and serial of attached satellite(s)
/home/switch
  Link state, speed, duplex by port
/home/telnetip
  The IP last connected via telnet
/home/traffic_meter
  All raw data for the traffic meter function
/home/wifi_update/wireless.net
  All data about wifi services, including (cleartext) wifi password, WPS, hidden Satellite SSID and (cleartext) auth key
/home/wla_channel
  Currently selected 5GHz channels for AP and Satellite
/module_name
  Type of unit - perhaps if changed, could 'morph' router into satellite (or vice-versa), likely requiring firmware update after reboot to 'sync'
/opt/xagent
  Contains some sort of 'phone home' agent, possibly specific to Netgear - would definitely like to know more about this, somehow related to CloudSync

uhttpd - More than just the web GUI, heavily modified from OpenWRT (handles portions of firmware update and ReadyShare)
WiFi backhaul appears to be adapted from FastLane technology
- Remnants of Netgear Downloader are present
- Remote logging appears to be possible via log_ip, log_port and log_proto in /etc/config/system
- Full SAMBA support appears to be present but not running by default (obviously due to lack of USB storage support)
- /etc/ledstatus appears to indicate the state of the LED
- There are guest and admin logins with 'ftpadmin' rights
- Firmware updates use ReadyCloud
- Filesystem is persistent (overlayfs over squashfs), but per /etc/sysupgrade.conf, nothing but NVRAM vars is kept after upgrade
- Three VLANs exist by default - WAN, LAN, and backhaul - unclear whether guest represents another VLAN

Listens on:
  localnet: 49152
  localhost: 7777, 14369
  anynet: 53, 80, 443, 3333, 5555

Message 1 of 11
TheEther
Guru

Re: Orbi software deconstruction

Nice.  According to the review over at smallnetbuilder.com, it, indeed, uses Qualcomm Atheros, IPQ4019 and QCA9984.

Message 2 of 11
rhester72
Virtuoso

Well, I at least finally figured out how to see the actual signal strength between the router and satellite.

From the router, issue:

wlanconfig ath01 list sta

You'll get output like:

ADDR               AID CHAN TXRATE RXRATE RSSI MINRSSI MAXRSSI IDLE  TXSEQ  RXSEQ  CAPS        ACAPS     ERP    STATE MAXRATE(DOT11) HTCAPS ASSOCTIME    IEs   MODE PSMODE
aa:04:60:17:35:8f    1    4 192M    192M   43      38      48    0      0   65535  EPSs         0          f              0            APM 06:51:15 RSN WME IEEE80211_MODE_11NG_HT20  0

Would be kind of useful to expose some of it in the UI.  😛

Note you can derive -dBm from Atheros RSSI by subtracting 95 from the value.

Rodney

Message 3 of 11

@rhester72 wrote:

Well, I at least finally figured out how to see the actual signal strength between the router and satellite.

From the router, issue:

wlanconfig ath01 list sta

You'll get output like:

ADDR               AID CHAN TXRATE RXRATE RSSI MINRSSI MAXRSSI IDLE  TXSEQ  RXSEQ  CAPS        ACAPS     ERP    STATE MAXRATE(DOT11) HTCAPS ASSOCTIME    IEs   MODE PSMODE
aa:04:60:17:35:8f    1    4 192M    192M   43      38      48    0      0   65535  EPSs         0          f              0            APM 06:51:15 RSN WME IEEE80211_MODE_11NG_HT20  0

Would be kind of useful to expose some of it in the UI.  😛

Rodney

pretty sure you are looking at the 2.4 gig there not the backhaul , the last bit suggest it is

MODE_11NG_HT20

as if the tx and rx where only 192M the backhaul wouldnt be usable

now if you want to di , try and find out how the backhaul is connected and if you can manage to get a standard client to connect to it

prob best however not post it or anything else here as the mods might get a bit narky if you expose too much of the under the hood stuff , doesnt mean you cant start your own blog and do your own project 🙂

Message 4 of 11
rhester72
Virtuoso

Right you are - will correct the example and output.  (Ironically, the MAC matches what's displayed in the UI associated with the satellite - which is _not_ correct!)

I know how the (wifi) backhaul is connected, and yes, you can connect a standard client to it - all you need is the hidden SSID (last two digits are "unique") and the password (which is random and better done by copy/paste than trying to hand-enter, though presumably you could override it).  It would be quite trivial to convert backhaul to another legitimate standard SSID, but would not be persistent across reboots.

Rodney

Message 5 of 11
rhester72
Virtuoso

Wow - I can neither edit or reply "historical" posts.  That sucks.

Correction from the above post.

From the router, issue:

wlanconfig ath2 list sta

You'll get output like:

a0:04:60:17:35:92    1  157 1053M   1053M   31       0      42    0      0   65535   EPs         0          b              0          AWPSM 07:37:51 RSN WME IEEE80211_MODE_11AC_VHT80  0

Rodney

Message 6 of 11
TheEther
Guru

peteytesting wrote:

prob best however not post it or anything else here as the mods might get a bit narky if you expose too much of the under the hood stuff , doesnt mean you cant start your own blog and do your own project 🙂

There are other similar threads, such as the megathread on the DGND3700.  I'm hoping the moderators will allow this, so long as vulnerabilities are not disclosed.

Message 7 of 11

@TheEther wrote:

@peteytesting wrote:

There are other similar threads, such as the megathread on the DGND3700.  I'm hoping the moderators will allow this, so long as vulnerabilities are not disclosed.

i would agree that it would be good but its prob not a good idea untill at least the dev team have finished introucing new features and at least got to a stable all working platform to then start diving under the hood

Message 8 of 11
rhester72
Virtuoso

Very well.

One last bit of fun for now, then.

Since the Orbi is supposed to look vaguely nouveau-art, enjoy the light show!

while [ 1 ]; do for color in red green blue white amber cyan magenta; do /sbin/ledcontrol -n all -l on -c $color -s on; sleep 2; done; done

Rodney

Message 9 of 11
OrbiMan
Luminary

Sorry guys but how do you get the backhaul password? Please step by step. I am a bit new at telnet cmd
Message 10 of 11

you cant as its encoded , there is also no reason to access it as its used specifically for backhaul

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7