Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbing RBR 50 wired devices not working

cjc182
Aspirant

Re: Orbing RBR 50 wired devices not working

Hi, The Apple TV in the Master BR is 169.254.240.251.

When I attempted to reserve it I received an alert that the IP address should be in the same subnet as the LAN IP address (see attached).

Message 26 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

IP addresses beginning with 169.254 are what devices assign to themselves when they cannot get an IP address from the network.

I think this all goes back to the initial problem description.  Devices were connected to the switches and working.  Then, the Orbi was disconnected temporarily to move cables around, and now the devices no longer connect to the Orbi.

Do you have a laptop that can be plugged directly into the Orbi LAN port where one of the switches plugs in now?

i.e. disconnect the switch, plug in the laptop, and see if it connects?

Message 27 of 37
cjc182
Aspirant

Hi, I tried it and and It showed no connection...attched is the screenshot of the Apple laptop network screen:

Message 28 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

This is what has me completely lost.  The Orbi was connected to two switches.  The Orbi was powered off to move the power cable.

Were ANY of the ethernet cables disconnected during this move?

The Orbi is powered back on and the LAN ports do not work.

WiFi devices continue to get IP addresses, but wired devices get nothing, even when plugged directly into an Orbi LAN port.

F**k.

Message 29 of 37
cjc182
Aspirant

As far as I recall none of the ethernet cables were disconnected when the Orbi was turned off. They were moved following that in an attempt to make sute there were no loose cables etc.

However, the Obi may have been unplugged rather than being switched off using the power button. Could that have caused a problem?

Message 30 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

@cjc182 wrote:

However, the Obi may have been unplugged rather than being switched off using the power button. Could that have caused a problem?

Orbi survives a power outage, so unplugging it should do the same thing.

Since it is two weeks old, you have telephone support from Netgear.  Maybe it is time to get them on the phone and talk about having it replaced.

Message 31 of 37
cjc182
Aspirant

Thank you CrimpOn, ekhalil and Furrye38 for your help. I truly appreciate it.

I am working with Netgear now.

Message 32 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

I hope they do right by you.  PLEASE... tell us the 'final outcome'.

Message 33 of 37
ekhalil
Master

Yes, really strange. 

One last thing please. Can you please take a snapshot of the LAN settings page on the web GUI on >> ADVANCED >> Setup >> LAN >> 

Also what IP address does your phone has when attached to Orbi?

Message 34 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

I would isolate the Orbi from the switches as a test to check to see if any an all LAN devices directly connected to the RBR work here first. With out the switches being connected. Daisy chain disabled. Then connect the RBS to the RBR directly. Does this configuration work? 

If you can this get far, add the DGS-105 switch to the mix. Power everything OFF then back on after adding the switch. I would do this in the same room as the RBR. See what happens here.

I have the DGS-105 in my network. There are two in between my RBR and RBS. Also have a 108 as well. 

@cjc182 wrote:

I have two switches:

1- Netgear FS 105

2- D-Link DSG 105

Message 35 of 37
cjc182
Aspirant

I worked with Netgear and after checking ethernet ports, restarting the router and modem, checking the ethernet pots on the satellite (which worked), they concluded the ports on the Orbi router were defective. So I am having it replaced. Thanks to all of you once again for the help and the "education."

Once question: when I ge the new Orbi, I assume I can only set it up using their app?

Or is is there way to do it via a web interface?

Message 36 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

The app or RBRs web page will work. I prefer the web page. 

Glad they figured it out. Let us know how the new one works. 

@cjc182 wrote:

I worked with Netgear and after checking ethernet ports, restarting the router and modem, checking the ethernet pots on the satellite (which worked), they concluded the ports on the Orbi router were defective. So I am having it replaced. Thanks to all of you once again for the help and the "education."

Once question: when I ge the new Orbi, I assume I can only set it up using their app?

Or is is there way to do it via a web interface?

Message 37 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7