Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Other use for RBR40 and RBS20

dchbbc
Apprentice

Other use for RBR40 and RBS20

Hi.

I have an RBR40 and 3 RBS20 satellites. I'm just not happy with the whole system anymore. I've done all kinds of settings, firmware and anything that is within my knowledge and I still don't get that great of coverage. My home is 2000 sq ft ranch so I have the system stretched down the length. I have all of the settings the way it's been suggested on here. Daisy, etc. I've tried AP, I've tried Router with the same results. Now I've been getting constant drop outs of WIFI. Not wired, just WIFI. All of the things they tell you about walls, phones, fans, mirrors, microwaves, etc are a bit crazy. Those are things in every hosehold. Who doesn't have walls or a microwave?

Anyway, back to my question....I'm getting rid of the system. I got a new ATT modem/router/gateway (I never know what to call it) installed the other day that is tri-band and the signal seems better. I have their giga internet. The only spot I still have a bit of issue with is in the attached garage at the far end.

I have 3 POE+ cameras out there that were wired to a switch and to an Orbi satellite. Now that's gone. Is there any way to get a Orbi RBS20 or RBR40 to hook up to my ATT gateway, as an extender without the whole Orbi set up? I saw you could do that with Orbi Outdoor and Talk. The thought of running another wire across the attic doesn't sound fun so I'd like that ethernet port from the Orbi back out there.

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Other use for RBR40 and RBS20

@dchbbc wrote:

Is there any way to get a Orbi RBS20 or RBR40 to hook up to my ATT gateway, as an extender without the whole Orbi set up? I saw you could do that with Orbi Outdoor and Talk. The thought of running another wire across the attic doesn't sound fun so I'd like that ethernet port from the Orbi back out there.

No. The RBR40 can connect only using the WAN (yellow) ethernet port.  RBS20 satellites can connect only to Orbi routers.  The only two Orbi satellites that will connect to "any WiFi router" are the RBS50Y (no ethernet port) and the RBS40V (3 ethernet ports). I don't know if it is worth spending nearly $200 on an RBS40V to find out if it can connect to the AT&T WiFi.  When I installed the Orbi system, my various WiFi extenders went into my "box of misc. stuff".  The Netgear EX3700 would work if it can establish a strong connection to the AT&T WiFi.

I believe there may be models of AT&T WiFi that have optional extenders.

https://www.att.com/support/article/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM1192919/ 

I have used PowerLine to connect security cameras in places where I could not install ethernet cable. (with mixed results).

Ethernet cable through the attic is by far the best solution.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7