Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Please Help-No access-websites not loading (404 messages)-Orbi RBR20-Mac OS and iOS

iabd
Aspirant

Please Help-No access-websites not loading (404 messages)-Orbi RBR20-Mac OS and iOS

Hi Community—I've been encountering a lot of error messages and hoping someone can help.

I run Mac OS 10.14.5 (Mohave) and iOS 12.4 on iPhone Xr. Orbi is connected  via CAT 6 to an (wifi disabled) Arris modem supplied by Spectrum. I get 404 messages repeatedly, but not consistently. Orbi app denies access, says login incorrect. Have reset password 2X. No avail. Try downloading firmware updates, get 404 message. No access to orbilogin.com. I'm blocked at every turn.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Please Help-No access-websites not loading (404 messages)-Orbi RBR20-Mac OS and iOS

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@iabd wrote:

Hi Community—I've been encountering a lot of error messages and hoping someone can help.

I run Mac OS 10.14.5 (Mohave) and iOS 12.4 on iPhone Xr. Orbi is connected  via CAT 6 to an (wifi disabled) Arris modem supplied by Spectrum. I get 404 messages repeatedly, but not consistently. Orbi app denies access, says login incorrect. Have reset password 2X. No avail. Try downloading firmware updates, get 404 message. No access to orbilogin.com. I'm blocked at every turn.

Message 2 of 11
iabd
Aspirant

Re: Please Help-No access-websites not loading (404 messages)-Orbi RBR20-Mac OS and iOS

These are the messages I get.

Message 3 of 11
iabd
Aspirant

Here's another

Message 4 of 11
iabd
Aspirant

Hi FURRYe38,
I cannot find firmware version because I cannot access the orbi app. I purchased the RBR20 in Nov 2018, that's the last time firmware was updated.
The modem is an Arris, model TG1672G
I do not know how to tell you what mode the Orbi is operating in, if I could login to orbilogin.com I could answer these questions better.
I just posted 2 screen shots of the type of errors I have been getting online.
Thanks for any help.

Message 5 of 11
iabd
Aspirant

The modem's wifi capabilities have been disabled.

Message 6 of 11
iabd
Aspirant

Re: Still no access-websites not loading (404 messages)-Orbi RBR20-Mac OS and iOS

Dear FURRYe38—I just realized I wasn't replying correctly (I was replying to myself!) so you probably didn't see those posts. I hope you get this reply and thank you in advance for any advice.

• I cannot find the Orbi firmware version because I cannot access the orbi app on my phone. I purchased the RBR20 in Nov 2018, that's the last time firmware was updated.
  • My modem is an Arris, model TG1672G. The modem's wifi capabilities have been disabled.
  • I do not know how to tell you what mode the Orbi is operating in, if I could login to orbilogin.com I could answer these questions better.
  • I cannot login to orbilogin.com – it won’t accept my admin/password.
  • I'm attaching screen shots of the type of errors I have been getting online.

Message 7 of 11
iabd
Aspirant

Re: Still no access-websites not loading (404 messages)-Orbi RBR20-Mac OS and iOS

Here's another error message, trying to access support through Netgear.

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Please find the FW version using a wired connected PC and web browser connected to the RBRs web page. 

Though you have disabled wifi on the ISP modem, there is a router built in to the modem that is also probably causing issues. Please ensure you are trying one of the suggestions previously mentioned to get the Orbi system working well with your modem as it has a built in router. 

Message 9 of 11

@iabd wrote:

The modem is an Arris, model TG1672G

That is a modem router. Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It could also explain what you see. And disabling the wifi on the Arris does not disable the router.

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 10 of 11
iabd
Aspirant

Hi michaelkenward—Thanks for your reply. I did call my ISP and confirmed that the modem's router was disabled but it looks like I need to do more than that. Yesterday, I was so frustrated, I succumbed and paid Netgear to help me. All the issues are not totally resolved but it's beter than where I was earlier in the day. I believe next steps will be  what you list below and I'll have a Gearhead walk me through it. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7