× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Please Help!

Mgordon
Follower

Please Help!

I'm hoping someone can help me. On my Orbi Advanced home page, it shows in the Internet Port box a different DHCP server, default gateway and subnet mask than the one I configured. Several of my devices also show a 100.115 -range IP address.

Thank you
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Please Help!

@Mgordon wrote:
I'm hoping someone can help me. On my Orbi Advanced home page, it shows in the Internet Port box a different DHCP server, default gateway and subnet mask than the one I configured. Several of my devices also show a 100.115 -range IP address.

The entries in the Advanced Tab home page, when you click on the blue box labelled "Connection Status" are provided by the Internet Service Provider.  They cannot be set by the customer.  When the Orbi connected to the ISP, it sent out a DHCP request, "Tell me who I am and how I connect?" and a DHCP server in the ISP network responded with an IP for the Orbi, a subnet mask, and the IP address of the ISP's gateway to the internet.  The ISP also provided IP addresses of DNS servers.  The customer has the option of entering their own DNS server IP's.

The Orbi creates a local network (LAN) which is usually 192.168.1.x, with a subnetmask of 255.255.255.0. When user devices connect and ask for an IP, the Orbi responds with a number from the DHCP "pool" that is identified on the Setup Menu, LAN Setup.  The user can set this LAN to be anything they want, but the traditional step is to use a private IP subnet, such as 192.168.x.x or 10.0.0.x

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7