× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 to ORBI RBR40

mcgunner
Aspirant

R8000 to ORBI RBR40

Have R8000 for personal activities with rbr40 connected. ORBI drooping signal and will not synch with satellite.

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R8000 to ORBI RBR40

What FW is currently loaded?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the R8000 wifi disabled? I presume the Orbi is running in AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 7
mcgunner
Aspirant

What is FW?

Modem is Arris SB8200 (owned).

Yes. R8000 wifi disabled. Don't know if the Orbi is running in AP (?) mode. How do I find out?

House is approx 1800 sq ft.

Satellite is approx 25 ft from Orbi.

Not tech savy regarding channels. How do I find out? Are you referring to the Orbi or Nighthawk?

One wifi neighbor within 50 yards.

How do I disable any of the things you are referring to? Are you referring to the Orbi or Nighthawk?

I do know how to save and reboot.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 7
mcgunner
Aspirant

What is FW?

Orbi is now running in AP mode.

Not tech savy regarding channels. How do I find out? Are you referring to the Orbi or Nighthawk?

Disabled all of the things you referred to.

I

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

FW = Firmware.

Use a wifi scanner to see whos around you and using channels.

You can set your Orbi channels on the Advanced Tab/Wireless settings.

Message 5 of 7
mcgunner
Aspirant

Followed all your advice except for the changing channels, and everything worked really good for the whole evening last night. Then I had to leave early this morning and got home about 1600. Roommate informs me has had no internet all day even though iPad indicates it is using ORBI. Had to re-sync satellite. Not sure what is going on.

Question: Can I set this system up in the reverse; modem to ORBI to Nighthawk? This would make the ORBI the dominant router with Nighthawk as an AP. Then could I still use the printers hard wired USB to the Nighthawk? And could I make them shared printers so all computers can use them? Only one is wireless.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, however you wouldn't need the Nighthawk router if you used the Orbi in router mode in place of the R8000 router. Which would be recommended...

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7