Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK20 Sizing

greenbar
Aspirant

RBK20 Sizing

I bought the RBK20 which is one RBR20 router and RBS20 satellite.  The box says it is good for 4000 sq feet.  When I look at the Orbi web site it seems that the RBR20 is too small.  I just installed it and will give it a try.

Any thoughts on if this two piece system will be sufficient?

Is there a tool to help with placement of the satellite?

The 2.4Ghz network in my home runs about 1/3 the rate of the 5Ghz.  Is it possible to get devices to favor the 5GHz?

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK20 Sizing

Physical size is misleading.  (As is advertised square feet of coverage.)  WiFi routers typically have omnidirectional antennas, which radiate a horizontal torus shaped pattern where the maximum strength is "out to the sides" and the minimum strength is "directly above and below".  Suppose one Orbi gave excellent service up to 30 ft. from the unit.  That would be a circle with radius 30 ft., which is 2,800 sq. ft. If the satellite is placed 30 ft. from the router and also covers 2,800 sq. ft., at least 40% of its coverage would overlap with the base router, which gives an addition of about 1,600 sq. ft.  So, a total of 4,400 sq. ft.  WOW.

But, wait.  Suppose the base router is up against one wall of the building.  Half of that 2,800 sq. ft. is covering the yard.  Dang.  And, suppose the base unit is pretty close to the opposite wall.  More sq. ft. covering the yard. Shoot.

So, how big is the building and where is the internet modem?

Netgear advises putting the satellite close enough to the router for the LED ring light at the top to turn BLUE for two minutes when it is connected.  (It goes out after that because people do not like glowing things in the dark.)  For most people, that works out to be about 25-30 ft. away, depending on what the walls are made of and other obstacles.

Can you force devices to connect at 5G?  NO.  The device and Orbi advertise to each other what they are capable of and then the device decides which channel it will connect to.  If the device gives adequate service at 2.4G, there is nothing to be gained by changing it to 5G.

Message 2 of 4
greenbar
Aspirant

Thanks.  This makes perfect sense.

I'm thinking I should have a router plus two satellites for better coverage.  How significant is the difference of the RBR50/RBS50 and the RBR20/RBS20?

I'm replacing the free router from the cable company which doesn't have great coverage.  My 100 Mbs service over 5Ghz works fine for the home.  Just want to add coverage.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

The "50" series have more ethernet ports and definitely have separate radios and antennas for the 5G backhaul radios.  And, the 5G series have a higher potential speed on the 5G backhaul than the 20 series.  Since radio antenna strength is regulated (in every country), the area of coverage to the user may be pretty close to the same. 

A lot depends on what is available for purchase where you live.  i.e. RBK53 vs. RBK23.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7