Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK23 & RBS40V - deliver very poor coverage

monkjr
Aspirant

RBK23 & RBS40V - deliver very poor coverage

The model I have is actually RBK23 which includes 1 RBR20 router and 2 RBS20 satellites but it’s not listed in the drop-down above. I also purchased the RBS40V to try and increase my coverage. The 6000 ft.² coverage claim for the RBK23 is absolutely absurd. My home is only 2800 ft.² which is less than half of what is claimed by the RBK23 product . Even after adding the RBS40V satellite with Wi-Fi extender which claims another 2000 ft.² in coverage which would bring me to a total expectation of 8000 ft.² I still can’t get decent coverage . My one satellite is only 20 feet from the router the other one is downstairs directly beneath it and the third one is in my guest room. Every satellite is within 25 feet of the router or at least within 15 feet of a satellite but the coverage is horrible. If you’re in the market for a mesh Wi-Fi system I would NOT recommend the Netgear Orbi as it does not deliver the coverage claimed by Netgear. I have moved my satellites from one location to another in an attempt to try to get decent coverage but it just is not possible. My home is a normal woodframe home and I have no more obstructions than any other home would have however this is the only way for me to get the word to Netgear because they want me to give them a credit card and pay for support in order to tell them that their product is a piece of crap.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. Too close can cause problems https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 2 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

Soi we can assume your system and RBS40V was purchased used?

Also why are you running the RBS40V in Extender mode? 

With that said, I would factory reset everything and start fresh to make sure nothing from the previous owner is left. 

Then you are assured there are no obstacles. I have used the RBK23 system in many application and will tell you it has better coverage than the other AC2200 systems. I've compared it to Velop, Google Eero and TP-Link.

Message 3 of 5
monkjr
Aspirant

You know what they say about assumptions. Neither product was purchased used. It was purchased new from Netgear. The Orbi satellite was not installed as a Wi-Fi extender I was merely describing the name on the box. It’s being used as a third satellite which is supposed to provide an additional 2000 ft.² but it has added nothing. The system was set up and installed with the assistance of Netgear associates. I contacted them several times throughout the year and complained but was never given adequate support. They, like you, assume all of us are dummies when some of us have use this type of equipment for 60+ years.
Message 4 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

@monkjr wrote:
You know what they say about assumptions. Neither product was purchased used. It was purchased new from Netgear. The Orbi satellite was not installed as a Wi-Fi extender I was merely describing the name on the box. It’s being used as a third satellite which is supposed to provide an additional 2000 ft.² but it has added nothing. The system was set up and installed with the assistance of Netgear associates. I contacted them several times throughout the year and complained but was never given adequate support. They, like you, assume all of us are dummies when some of us have use this type of equipment for 60+ years.

Yea Yea Yea. I guess you should have been more specific.Smiley Wink 

I took your wording verbatum "Even after adding the RBS40V satellite with Wi-Fi extender"

If you are getting the speeds you are supposed to get right from the ISP router, then I would start from the beginning and factory reset again and re-configure the router and all satellites. As @FURRYe38 stated, the distance matters. Too close or too far can cause issues. How many Sq Ft are you covering? You can use a program called NetSpot to find out info needed for proper placement. 

I never assumed you were a dummy. I have no affiliation with NG. I was just trying to help.

And FYI this equipment has not been around for 60 yearsSmiley LOL

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7