Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK43S vs RBR40 Firmware Update

House82
Aspirant

RBK43S vs RBR40 Firmware Update

Quick firmware question:

The firmware for RBK43S (which is a RBR40 router with RBS20 satellites) shows 2.6.2.104, but when I search RBR40 it shows the firmware version to be 2.6.1.36

What is the rule of thumb for updates? Which one do I use? Only reason I ask is that I've been having some intermittent issues with internet the past couple of weeks that weren't present for a long time. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

The later version is most current. Seems that NG didn't update the RBR40 page as these modes are the same models and use same versions of FW. You can update if you wish or keep what works for you. If you have a RBS, update the RBS first, then RBR lastly. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...
https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

Message 2 of 8
House82
Aspirant

Thanks for the response FURRY. Didn't know about updating RBS20's first, as I always did RBR40 and then satellites. Does this have an adverse effect on the update process? 

The intermittent drops just started again a few weeks ago, I'm now seeing about 2-3 drops a day. It was fairly stable for quite some time, even at the latest firmware. Nothing has changed setting wise. This system has been amazing when it works, but for all of the issues it has it's almost to the point of purchasing something else. 

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@House82 wrote:

Thanks for the response FURRY. Didn't know about updating RBS20's first, as I always did RBR40 and then satellites. Does this have an adverse effect on the update process? YES. the RBS can loose connection with the RBR if the RBR is updated first. 

The intermittent drops just started again a few weeks ago, I'm now seeing about 2-3 drops a day. It was fairly stable for quite some time, even at the latest firmware. Nothing has changed setting wise. This system has been amazing when it works, but for all of the issues it has it's almost to the point of purchasing something else. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Message 4 of 8
House82
Aspirant

2.4 has been on channel 1 for quite some time, and 5 has been on 48. Could try changing those again and see if that helps. House is about 1800 sq ft with closest neighbor roughly 150 ft away. Maybe 3 neighbors total in each direction.

Router is placed centrally, with one satellite at one end of the house on lower level (over 30ft away) and other one almost directly above it on upper level (tri-level home). Would that cause interference between the 2 RBS20’s?
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@House82 wrote:
2.4 has been on channel 1 for quite some time, and 5 has been on 48. Could try changing those again and see if that helps. House is about 1800 sq ft with closest neighbor roughly 150 ft away. Maybe 3 neighbors total in each direction.

Router is placed centrally, with one satellite at one end of the house on lower level (over 30ft away) and other one almost directly above it on upper level (tri-level home). Would that cause interference between the 2 RBS20’s? How close is the oen RBS thats is directly above the RBR? 

Message 6 of 8
House82
Aspirant

The RBR is in our living room. It’s the RBS that’s above the other RBS. I’d say about 9ft above. The office is right over the man cave, so that’s why I have it that way. The wife can hardwire her Mac (works from home), and then I’m hardwiring game systems.
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

9 ft is too close between the RBR and the one RBS. 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7