Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 PRINTING ISSUE

BOBBARWALD
Aspirant

RBK50 PRINTING ISSUE

ORBI IS CONNECTED AND HAS SPED UP OUR COMPUTER PROCESSING. HOWEVER, WE ARE UNABLE TO PRINT WHEN CONNECTED TO THE ORBI WIFI NETWORK. WE CAN ONLY PRINT WHEN CONNECTED TO OUR ORIGINAL WIFI NETWORK FROM ATT.  SO TO PRINT, HAVE TO RECONECT TO THE ATT NETWORK. HOW DO WE JUST KEEP USING THE ORBI NETWORK FOR EVERYTHING.  

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Be sure ALL devices are connected to the Orbi system. 

Be sure the printer drivers are configured for the new IP address that the printer gets from the Orbi system, not from the old ATT router.

Please don't use ALL CAPs. Thank you. 

@BOBBARWALD wrote:

ORBI IS CONNECTED AND HAS SPED UP OUR COMPUTER PROCESSING. HOWEVER, WE ARE UNABLE TO PRINT WHEN CONNECTED TO THE ORBI WIFI NETWORK. WE CAN ONLY PRINT WHEN CONNECTED TO OUR ORIGINAL WIFI NETWORK FROM ATT.  SO TO PRINT, HAVE TO RECONECT TO THE ATT NETWORK. HOW DO WE JUST KEEP USING THE ORBI NETWORK FOR EVERYTHING.  

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

I agree that the issue is the printer is connected to the ATT Wi-Fi and when devices are connected to the Orbi Wi-Fi they cannot find it.

The thing to do is attach the printer to the Orbi Wi-Fi.  (If it has been a LONG time since the printer was set up, you may have to look in the printer User Guide for how to change Wi-Fi networks.)  Most people assign printers a stable IP address so that it will "stay" at the IP where devices know it is supposed to be.  That is on the Orbi "Advanced" tab under "Setup", "LAN Setup".

Once the printer is on the Orbi network, each device that wants to print will have to be configured for the new location.  From then on, it should work like it used to.

Most people would also elect to turn off the ATT Wi-Fi network to reduce interference.  I don't remember if you can do that yourself or if you have to call ATT and have them do it.  (This is a very common request.)  At the very least, ensure that the Orbi has chosen Wi-Fi channels that are totally separate from the ATT channels.  There is nothing you can do about neighborhood Wi-Fi's, but you can reduce the impact of one in your house. 

Message 3 of 8
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@BOBBARWALD wrote:

Hello.  I litereally just did this today.  I'm a new Orbi user.  The short answer to your question is to reconnect your printer to the Orbi's network following the recommended procedure from the printer manufacturer.  This assumes the computers that need to print are also connected to the Orbi's network as well. 

@FURRYe38 's recommendation about DMZ is a good one.  Depending on which ATT gateway you have there, the DMZ function may be called IP Passthru if an Arris device, located in the Firewall section of the management console. 

Message 4 of 8
BOBBARWALD
Aspirant

The ATT device is "NVG589"

The Firmware version is 2.2.1.210

The printer is a wireless Laser HP MFP M477fnw

The app says we are connected locally and an error message comes up that says; "You are not connected to the internet. Check your internet connection and try again.

Very frustrating as I'm an experienced end user expecting this to be a plug and play. 

We are running on MAC's and the internet connection says we are connected to ORBI77 so i'm guessing we should be good. In the same dropdown I can also select the ATT Router and when I do, the printer works.  Does this info help diagnose the issue. There is alot of stuff plugged into the router (Sonos bridge, WD backup drive, WIFI modem etc...) plus the ORBI router.  on the network we are also running a Ring Door bell and 3 Ring Video Cameras with lights, Alexa and 3 WiOn WiFi plugs.  Thank you for the help.

Message 5 of 8
Chuck_M
Mentor

I would start out the process by upgrading firmware to the .32 version and see if issues have been resolved.

https://kb.netgear.com/000060603/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-32

Message 6 of 8

@gr8sho wrote:

The short answer to your question is to reconnect your printer to the Orbi's network following the recommended procedure from the printer manufacturer.  This assumes the computers that need to print are also connected to the Orbi's network as well. 

That's probably the answer.

I chip in only to add that the usual way to fix wifi printers is to find the printer maker's utility, the software that runs on your operating system. Then use that to connect the printer to the wifi.

The router just broadcasts wifi. It is then down to the printer to play ball. There isn't much that you can do on a router, beyond fixing it to a particular IP address, that affects what the printer gets up to.

Where possible, using the WPS feature can simplify things.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You may want to un-install this app and printer drivers and re-setup the printer drivers from scratch on a PC that both PC and printer are connected to the Orbi. 

Make sure you check on the modems operation mode and weather you need to use the DMZ on the modem or configure the Orbi for AP mode. 

Trying to keep this simple for you.  

@BOBBARWALD wrote:

The ATT device is "NVG589"

The Firmware version is 2.2.1.210

The printer is a wireless Laser HP MFP M477fnw

The app says we are connected locally and an error message comes up that says; "You are not connected to the internet. Check your internet connection and try again.

Very frustrating as I'm an experienced end user expecting this to be a plug and play. 

We are running on MAC's and the internet connection says we are connected to ORBI77 so i'm guessing we should be good. In the same dropdown I can also select the ATT Router and when I do, the printer works.  Does this info help diagnose the issue. There is alot of stuff plugged into the router (Sonos bridge, WD backup drive, WIFI modem etc...) plus the ORBI router.  on the network we are also running a Ring Door bell and 3 Ring Video Cameras with lights, Alexa and 3 WiOn WiFi plugs.  Thank you for the help.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7