× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK53 direct ethernet connect to satalite?

hipertec
Aspirant

RBK53 direct ethernet connect to satalite?

I have the RBK53 1 router and 2 satalites.
My Orbi router is on one side of the house. 2nd one is about 20ft away center house 1st floor area and the 3rd one is on the 2nd floor on the other end of the house.
All satalites are using wifi but I have an option to tie in 1 satalite to an ethernet port.
So my router and 1 satalite will be using ethernet wire and the center satalite is wifi.
Is this better setup for speed and reliability and back haul or should I leave it alone?
There is a second option and thats moving both satalites to the opposite side of the house (of the router), one on 1st floor and other on 2nd floor and both hardwired using ethernet wire.
Thoughts and suggestions?
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK53 direct ethernet connect to satalite?

Either or both satellites can be connected with ethernet.  It should be pretty simple to compare the two configurations and see which gives the better coverage.

Good Luck

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

I would try it. i have all but 1 of my satellites hardwired and it works great. 

Anytime you can take a burden off the wireless, its tends to be better. Especially if it isn't costing you anything. 

Message 3 of 6
hipertec
Aspirant

Thanks - what's the best way to reset all this on the Orbi? Is it to power off everything including the Orbi and modem.
Then modem boot and wait, then all the Orbis or just the Orbi router then wait 3mins... Then the satellites with the ethernet ports?

Also, best option both sats on ethernet on same side of the home but different floors?
Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

This networking change should not require a "total reset".  If one of the satellites is already in a location with an ethernet jack, just plug in the ethernet cable and wait a bit until the Orbi recognizes that ethernet is available and switches over. If a satellite will be moving to a new location, just unplug the satellite and move it.  I would let it reconnect first over WiFi and then connect the ethernet cable.

When there is a reason to "restart everything", then yes. Power it all off.  Modem on first (wait).  Router on next (wait). Then things connected to the router.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

@hipertec wrote:
I have the RBK53 1 router and 2 satalites.
My Orbi router is on one side of the house. 2nd one is about 20ft away center house 1st floor area and the 3rd one is on the 2nd floor on the other end of the house.
All satalites are using wifi but I have an option to tie in 1 satalite to an ethernet port.
So my router and 1 satalite will be using ethernet wire and the center satalite is wifi.
Is this better setup for speed and reliability and back haul or should I leave it alone?
There is a second option and thats moving both satalites to the opposite side of the house (of the router), one on 1st floor and other on 2nd floor and both hardwired using ethernet wire.
Thoughts and suggestions?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7