Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK53S on 1gig FIbre Optic Cable issues...

nuzik
Tutor

RBK53S on 1gig FIbre Optic Cable issues...

Hey everyone, little bit new here and wanted some help or advice. 

I live in the UK and i use Virgin Media, they provide me with a super hub 4 and this is a modem router. I can get 1230mbps or 1.23gbps as a standard connection directly into the modem/router. 

I needed to increase my wifi to the other side of the house as it was a little slow. 

Set the orbi's up and boom wifi is good. Really good. But now my wired connections are way slower. 

The test in the app says i am getting 836mbps.

Now i have tried the Orbi in AP mode to try and get a slightly better speed and its hardly any better than router mode. 
Tired Orbi in AP mode and my modem in router mode
Tried Orbi in Router mode and my modem in modem mode

Is this an issue that my device is not able to actually take the full signal? 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

How are you testing the speeds? 

If its using the built in speedtest in the orbi app, its not that accurate over 500mbps connections. 

You have to test with a hardwired in pc/laptop. And test several sites as not all will saturate gigabit. 

Also, keep in mind, you max speeds are only going to hit 940mbps at best because of network overhead and how gigabit ports function. 

Message 2 of 6
nuzik
Tutor

I have been using fast.com for the net speeds as well as the built in app on orbi. And on my super hub https://samknows.com/realspeed/ when in router mode. Wired.

If its using the built in speedtest in the orbi app, its not that accurate over 500mbps connections. 

You have to test with a hardwired in pc/laptop. And test several sites as not all will saturate gigabit. 

Also, keep in mind, you max speeds are only going to hit 940mbps at best because of network overhead and how gigabit ports function. 
On my old router setup, i could almost push 1.2gb on a good day and i appreciate that may not be accurate but if it now says 700mb the swing is too big.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

@nuzik wrote:

I have been using fast.com for the net speeds as well as the built in app on orbi. And on my super hub https://samknows.com/realspeed/ when in router mode. Wired.----fast.com isn't the most reliable either as it won't saturate gigabit in my area. the only one that does reliably is my ISP's speedtest site. 

On my old router setup, i could almost push 1.2gb on a good day and i appreciate that may not be accurate but if it now says 700mb-(-your prior said 836mbps)  the swing is too big.----your hub 4 only has gigabit ethernet ports. So you weren't outputting gigabit speeds. Your internal tests might be faster but thats just testing the fibre link and not what devices are actually getting. Its not possible to get faster than gigabit over a single gigabit connection. And even that gigabit speed is only going to hit 940mbps because of overhead. 

Message 4 of 6
nuzik
Tutor

So what you are saying is, dude shut the FUDGE up 😄 you arent getting those speeds. 940mbps is more than enough until 2.5gbps comes in 😄 

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Not quite saying it like that 🙂

Just more saying that even though ISP's and routers are hitting that gigabit speeds, not everything can saturate it. Even some of the test sites will struggle. 

And even if you do saturate gigabit, its rare in real world performance to hit it. For example, you can stream 4k with a 25-40mbps connection. Unless you're downloading massive data files and the place you're downloading from can max out gigabit, its rare to hit it. 

I've had gigabit for a couple years and the only time I max it out is when I'm actually speedtesting. but it sure is fun to download large files quickly 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7