× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR 40 cannot factory reset

Retired_Member
Not applicable

RBR 40 cannot factory reset

My RBR 40 router jammed yesterday and factory reset does not work. I have tried two ways to do reset, via factory reset button on back of router or try logging in via Orbilogin.net, neither methods work. Irritating since the system is just a year old and should not die this early. Any idea how I can get this reset?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR 40 cannot factory reset

@Retired_Member wrote:

My RBR 40 router jammed yesterday and factory reset does not work. I have tried two ways to do reset, via factory reset button on back of router or try logging in via Orbilogin.net, neither methods work. Irritating since the system is just a year old and should not die this early. Any idea how I can get this reset?

The Orbi did not revert back to the settings printed on the product label after clicking the "Erase" button? (see attached image)

How long was the reset button pressed? (I find it takes at least 8-10 seconds before the Power LED begins to flash amber)

Message 2 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

No I am not able to log on the router so cannot press Reset button and cannot reset with a needle on the back of the box. Looks like I am stuck with a router that is not working and unable to reset.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

So you can't press the reset button at all or pressing the reset button doesn't reset the RBR? 

@Retired_Member wrote:

No I am not able to log on the router so cannot press Reset button and cannot reset with a needle on the back of the box. Looks like I am stuck with a router that is not working and unable to reset.

Message 4 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

No, if I press factory reset button and hold for minutes, the light does not start blinking amber. The light next to power button stays green. If I try logging on orbilogin.net or orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1 connecting my computer via ethernet, I can also not find the router. I had to throw the system in trash. I wanted to buy a mesh wifi, but I got a dog that needs too much tlc for what I have time for. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Max time to press the reset button is no more than 15 seconds. 

IF this fails then the RBR is probably bad and needs to be replaced:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW. 
I had a problem on a Windows 10 PC where this didn't work to use TFTP, so I switched to a WIndows 7 PC and the TFTP worked.
Try nmrpflash?
I've had luck with that when tftp didn't work
https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series