× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 - Wifi call problems

dryan131
Aspirant

RBR40 - Wifi call problems

I have had the RBR40 mesh router setup with two satilites for at least a year.  In general it has worked very well.

I am having a problem while using the wifi for cell phone calls (Spectrum).  The calls don't drop - but I will be in mid-call when the sound cuts out and my attempt to talk will not be heard.  Then, about 10 -15 seconds later (and sometimes when I move) the call comes back.  If the person on the call had been talking the whole time they are unaware of any problem.  My "hellos" were not heard and I have to ask the caller to repeat the last couple of sentences. 

I have tried to determine where this problems lies and have eliminated the other end and my cellphone service - both will work flawlessly if I am not on wifi.  Only when I am on the Orbi wifi will I get this disruption.

So - any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR40 - Wifi call problems

@dryan131 wrote:

I am having a problem while using the wifi for cell phone calls (Spectrum).  The calls don't drop - but I will be in mid-call when the sound cuts out and my attempt to talk will not be heard.  Then, about 10 -15 seconds later (and sometimes when I move) the call comes back.  If the person on the call had been talking the whole time they are unaware of any problem.  My "hellos" were not heard and I have to ask the caller to repeat the last couple of sentences. 

There have been some long posts regarding WiFi calling issues. (As I recall, not entirely resolved)

Can you please clarify:

• The cell phone provider is? (Spectrum? AT&T, Verizon, etc.)?
  • The ISP providing internet is? (Spectrum? or....)
  • Happens to all mobile phones, or only a certain phone?

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

@dryan131 wrote:

I have had the RBR40 mesh router setup with two satilites for at least a year.  In general it has worked very well.

I have tried to determine where this problems lies and have eliminated the other end and my cellphone service - both will work flawlessly if I am not on wifi.  Only when I am on the Orbi wifi will I get this disruption.

So - any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

Message 3 of 4
dryan131
Aspirant

Hi,

My cell phone provider is Spectrum Mobile and my IPS is Spectrum.  I have an android phone (Samsung) and my wife has an iPhone.  I have this problem frequently (about 1/2 the time) she almost never does.

The router is up to date on software and workd flawlessly otherwise.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series