Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR 50 Stopped working and keeps erasing settings.

BooBooChicken
Aspirant

RBR 50 Stopped working and keeps erasing settings.

My Orbi stopped working in the middle of the day, the top LED light was pulsing white and no wired or wireless devices could get to the internet.  I did a factory reset, but it still didn't seem to be coming back up (top LED pulsing white for over an hour).  I swapped in an old wireless router to get connected to the internet again.  Left Orbi on overnight with no ethernet connections.  In the morning, the top LED was pink (No internet connection).  Got the Orbi back up and running and reconnected to the internet.  Used the iPhone app to connect, and device manager showed no devices connected and no satellites.  I brought the one satellite I have upstairs and started it back up next to the Orbi.  The top LED turned blue (Connected to router) and then turned off, but never showed up in the iPhone app.  I used a wired computer to connect via IP address and this also showed no devices connected.  I went to try and update the firmware, it showed Orbi was on 2.5.2.4 and there was a newer update but wouldn't allow me to run it because the Satellite was listed as still connecting (Even though the Satellite clearly thought it was connected).  I tried with the iPhone app and it allowed me to update the firmware, and I got a message that the update was successful and that Orbi would restart.  The top LED started pulsing white, and the Satellite top LED did turn blue (connected).  The Orbi continued in this state for well over an hour.  Finally, it finished rebooting and I tried to connect.  It had forgotten my password and I had to reset it via serial number.  When I was able to connect the Orbi was back on firmware 2.5.2.4.  I saw online that this could be caused by an IP conflict and that I should turn off all my connected devices and bring them online one at a time, I have way too many devices to try that when Orbi's device manager doesn't list them, so I decided to rename the wireless network instead.  I don't recall if this required a reboot, or if I decided to reboot.  The reboot again took well over an hour.  When it finally came back up it had forgotten my password again and the wireless network name was back to the original name.  I tried this again using FireFox instead of Chrome with the same result (saw a post that said Chrome could cause Orbi to fail to save).  Using Firefox, I set the Orbi as an Access Point while wired to the old wireless router so that all my devices could get to the internet.  Left the Orbi in this state overnight.  When I checked in the morning the Orbi once again had lost the changes and no longer knew my password and I had to use the serial number to get back in.

What else can I try?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

v4 is a bit out of date and would be recommended to update the RBS first and RBR lastly using a wired PC and web browser to: v104

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-Orbi-RBR50-Router-Firmware-Version-V2-7-2-104-Released/m-p...

This version also has more important security updates. 

You can log into the RBS and RBRs web pages and send the FW files. After they are sent, I recommend doing a factory reset on the RBS and RBR. Press the reset button for 15 seconds then release. Walk thru the setup wizard with the wired PC and web browser at orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1

Message 2 of 37
BooBooChicken
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick reply.

The cable modem is an Arris model TM822.

I have been trying to update the firmware.  I have factory reset both the RBR and RBS and the RBS light turns blue (indicates it is connected?).  When logged into the GUI via a wired PC the firmware page never gets past waiting for RBS to connect, so will not let me update the firmware.

Is there a certain order I need to factory reset?  RBR first or RBS first?

My Orbi IP is 10.0.0.1 incase that makes a difference.

Message 3 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

10.0.0.something would indicate that your modem may have a built in router as the RBR is detecting something upstream from it is using 192.168.1.1 which is what the RBR would normally use, so it changed to something different:

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

You can skip adding the RBS and I would do this. Setup the RBR first and get it up and running. You can add the RBS afterwards...Usually resetting the RBR first then RBS lastly should work. 

Message 4 of 37
BooBooChicken
Aspirant

I am working on doing a factory reset again.  Is it normal for the Orbi to take well over an hour (sometimes close to 2) to reboot?  Makes it very hard to test when you have to wait so long to doing anything.  I had it running in Access Point mode, but it won't stay like that any more.  It keeps reverting back like it is doing a factory reset without being asked.

Message 5 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Lordy no. It should only take about a minute before the top ring LED should start to slowly pulsation ON and OFF, then you should have access to the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1 with a wired PC. I recommend disconnecting the RBR from the ISP modem if your seeing problems with a reset. Just connect 1 wired PC to the back of the RBR and press the reset button for 15 seconds then release. After some seconds the top ring LED should blink ON and OFF WHITE the next should slowly pulsate ON and OFF about about a minute...

Message 6 of 37
BooBooChicken
Aspirant

I turned on the Orbi (it had been sitting on the desk turned off all day) 1 hour and 20 minutes ago with nothing plugged into it.  Like I mentioned I had to switch to an old wifi router so I could continue to WFH.  The other router is using 192.168.1.1 which is why Orbi switches.  The top LED has been pulsing white, and the wireless network does show up and devices have connected to it.  I unplugged the ethernet cable from my desktop and plugged it into the ORBI and reboot the desktop.  The desktop was assigned IP 10.0.0.17 and I could ping 10.0.0.1 but the browser won't connect to 10.0.0.1.  As far as I can tell from the previous reboots I can login to the admin page until the LED on top of he ORBI is pink.  I have tried bring the ORBI up without the other WIFI router and this does allow the ORBI to use 192.168.1.1 but still takes over any hour to gain access.

Any idea what could cause it to take so long, and why it forgets my password every time it reboots?

Message 7 of 37
BooBooChicken
Aspirant

Sorry about the typo, but it should have read that I can not login to the admin page until the top LED turns pink.

Message 8 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the otther router the ISP modem? Or is there something else in between the modem and Orbi RBR? 

Please try the factory reset on the RBR with out the RBR connected to anything else accept with 1 wired PC connected to the back of the RBR. Only press the reset button for 15 seconds then release. You should have access to the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1 after 1-2minutes. 

Message 9 of 37
BooBooChicken
Aspirant

The other router is a old Netgear R6300v2.  I had to put in place of the ORBI because we need Internet during the day.  The ISP modem is not broadcasting a wireless network.

Right now I have the ORBI up with just one wired connection, it has no way to get to the internet / ISP modem.  Various devices do connect to it when the wireless comes up, which is why I had tried to rename the wireless network.  The ORBI just doesn't want to keep any settings that I change.  I will try the factory reset with the old Netgear turned off tonight, last time I tried that it did take well over an hour before I could access the admin page.

Message 10 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

You should be able to remove the older NG router and directly connect the ISP modem to the Orbi RBR. The RBR is better performating then the older NG router.

You should be able to power OFF the ISP modem and RBR, connect the WAN port of the RBR to the ISP modem. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync then power ON the RBR. 

Message 11 of 37
BooBooChicken
Aspirant

I would love to be able to put the Orbi in place of the old router, that is my goal, but the Orbi isn’t working.  I removed the old wireless router (it had no issues using IP 192.168.1.1) and replaced it with an unmanaged switch, this did not allow me to access the internet.  I think this shows the cable modem is not providing DHCP, you mentioned you thought I might have a double NAT issue.  I power cycled the cable modem each time I attached new equipment to it.  After the Cable modem had an internet connection, I put the Orbi in place and turned it on.  The top light on the Orbi started pulsing white, and the WiFi network came on.  I tried to connect to the internet with a wired PC and could not.  I reboot the PC several times with no luck, I could not connect to the Orbi web interface either.  Finally, after almost an hour and a half the light stopped pulsing and turned off, every reboot takes this long.  As expected, it had lost my password again and I had to connect using the serial number.  The Orbi came up with IP 10.0.0.1, I am not sure why it won’t use 192.168.1.1 like you were expecting it to.  I was able to get to the internet with wired and wireless devices.  I did a factory waited over an hour for it to restart, logged in using the serial number.  Verified it connected to the internet, then manually ran the latest firmware update.  Waited over an hour for it to reboot.  When it came back up it forgot my password, so I had to log in with serial number.  It was reverted back to 2.5.2.4.  Tried to manually downgrade the firmware to the previous version, exact same results.  Left it connected to the internet on version 2.5.2.4 and went to sleep.  Woke up to find it pulsing white and not letting connections get to internet, so I put the old router back online.  Very frustrating.

Message 12 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Is v4 still loaded on the system? 

What happens if you try putting the RBR in AP Mode? 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Ya if you got a private IP address from the ISP modem, there would be a DHCP server there. 

Another last ditch suggestion, if you have a nieghbor, friend or family member close by, take the system to there place and see if the problem follows, just take the RBR, no need to take the RBS. 

Message 13 of 37
BooBooChicken
Aspirant

I will try bringing it to my parents over the weekend, that is a good idea.  If 2.5.2.4 is called version 4 for short, then yes it is still on version 4.

When I switch Orbi to AP mode with nothing between it and the cable modem it can not connect to the internet.  If I run the Orbi in AP mode while the old router is connected then Orbi can get to internet.  It just won't stay like that, at some point it reboots unattended.

Message 14 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so even in AP mode it reboots on it's own. 

If you can while at your parents over the weekend, load up v104 manually, factory reset and setup from scratch. Configure either router or AP mode and test it. If the problem still continues and follows at the other location, I would presume that the RBR is faulty needs replacing. Something to ask NG support about and see what your options are.

@Blanca_O 

Message 15 of 37
vajim
Master

you may want to hold off on v104

lots of reports of unstablity 

Message 16 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 17 of 37
vajim
Master

you may want to hold off on v104

lots of reports of unstablity 

Message 18 of 37
BooBooChicken
Aspirant

I tried the Orbi at my parents’ house today with less than no luck.  I plugged it in and turned it on.  After almost 2 hours it still was flashing white.  Tried doing a factory reset, and no matter how long I held the button down with a paper clip the power LED stayed green.  Brought it home and tried again. It won't reset.  It no longer is even broadcasting the Wi-Fi.  Seems I now have an awfully expensive paper weight.  Only a few months after the warranty ran out.

Message 19 of 37
vajim
Master

@BooBooChicken wrote:

I tried the Orbi at my parents’ house today with less than no luck.  I plugged it in and turned it on.  After almost 2 hours it still was flashing white.  Tried doing a factory reset, and no matter how long I held the button down with a paper clip the power LED stayed green.  Brought it home and tried again. It won't reset.  It no longer is even broadcasting the Wi-Fi.  Seems I now have an awfully expensive paper weight.  Only a few months after the warranty ran out.

Did the firmware kill it?

Message 20 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like the RBR maybe faulty. I would reach out to a forum moderator and ask them what your options are. 

@Blanca_O 

If you still have access to the RBRs web page, you can try loading Voxels FW on it and see:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-a-la-faq.65224/
You can revert back to stock FW if it doesn't work out for you. 

@BooBooChicken wrote:

Message 21 of 37
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can revert back to stock FW if it doesn't work out for you. 

what is "stock FW"?

Message 22 of 37
BooBooChicken
Aspirant

I do not have access to it in any form.  It won't broadcast a Wi-Fi signal, and it never shows up in the device list of my router.  If I reboot my PC while attached to it the PC never gets assigned an IP address.

I reached out to the moderator.  Hopefully, they can do something.  I need to get a new router, the old replacement I am using for now was replaced for a reason.

Message 23 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, hopefully they will. 

You can try this and see if you can gain access after trying the recovery method:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW. 
I had a problem on a Windows 10 PC where this didn't work to use TFTP, so I switched to a WIndows 7 PC and the TFTP worked.

If this also fails, I presume the RBR is just now broke and needs replacing. Smiley Frustrated

Message 24 of 37
BooBooChicken
Aspirant

OMG!!!  It is back to responding.  The Wi-Fi is being broadcast again and I see it came up on 10.0.0.1.  While it was in flashing red power light mode it was on 192.168.1.1.  I downgraded the FW to 2.5.1.16, just because it seemed the newer ones did not work for it.  It is pulsing white now.  I assume it will take another hour to fully come up.  It is late, going to bed now.  Will check its status in the morning.  Thank you!

Message 25 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7