× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR/S50 & RBK853 + Switch

matiernoII
Aspirant

RBR/S50 & RBK853 + Switch

Currently I have an RBR50 network running.
I will be installing an RBK853 network at a new property that will also inherit the RBR50 hardware.

Is it doable to install a switch after a cable modem, then connect the two routers to the switch and have two networks running? Or am I limited to just one router?
The RBK would be a business network exclusively and the RBR would be a home/smart home network.

Thanks for your input.
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Just 1 RBR router only. 

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product.  Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum.  Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:

Thank you.
Message 2 of 5
matiernoII
Aspirant

Thank you FURRYe38. I did post in the AX group.
Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru
CrimpOn
Guru

@matiernoII wrote:
Is it doable to install a switch after a cable modem, then connect the two routers to the switch and have two networks running? Or am I limited to just one router?

No. Never. Not possible.  The modem expects to connect to ONE device with one MAC address.

If the "modem" is actually a combination modem/router, then 'Yes'.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7