× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 Slow Wifi

colinson
Tutor

RBR20 Slow Wifi

This post is nothing new, plenty of similiar ones on the board.

I've got 500/50 cable to curb. It's an Arris modem, DG3450A.

I've got an RBR20 and three satelites. One is daisy chained. They're all on 2.3.5.26. Some are more than 30 feet away.

The house is large at about 3000 sq feet and part of it is old and a lot of thick plaster walls. Its a western city neighborhood with reasonable sized lots. I can see some others wifi sometimes but its not like I'm in a condo.

The Orbi router is plugged right in to the modem and on the wired speed test I get 400 something / 40 something. There's a NAS wired in to the Orbi and it too gets those speeds.

Wifi has always sucked but it seems worse recently. Sitting 2 feet from the RBR20 it almost never places a device on 5 Ghz. Android phone, android tablet, macbook pro, chromecast ultra, doesn't matter. Almost always on 2.4. And it pulls like 10 - 15 and 5 sitting right next to the router and connected to it and not a satelite. Of course on the satelites almost unusable for anything but web browsing. Tried essentially every chanel without a noticeable difference.

The Arris device is a combo modem/router and wifi is generally turned off but if I turn it on from the same location I pull about 50 / 40. Not great but damn better than the Orbi itself. Of course that only works in the room the router is in and is impractical.

Haven't reset it. Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR20 Slow Wifi

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Power OFF RBR and RBS for 1 minute then back on? 

I would factory reset and setup from scratch at some point...

Message 2 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Power OFF RBR and RBS for 1 minute then back on? 

I would factory reset and setup from scratch at some point...

Smiley Mad

Message 3 of 7
colinson
Tutor

Yeah, I've seen that cut and pasted advice and questions before.

Most of those are answered in teh post. But I did also try turning off Fast Roaming 20mhz/40mhz coexistence.

Message 4 of 7
colinson
Tutor

Yeah that cut and paste reply in every post of this ilk not much help here.

Message 5 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@colinson wrote:

Yeah that cut and paste reply in every post of this ilk not much help here.

Agree....it's used by those who try and answer ALL the posts without reading and understanding the problem while taking the time to actually typing a response.  Not to mention the responses that are really no more than guesses in disguise.  

Message 6 of 7
colinson
Tutor

I'll refrain from making generic comments about Orbi (although def making them under my breath) but Orbi really didn't work for me.

Reset and went through set up again without much improvement in performance.

So I bought an eero pro and two Beacons. And out of the box man, wired 800mbs compared to 400 for the Orbi and wifi coverage of 200 - 300 throughout the house compared to 15 or less for the Orbi.

I don't know what the difference is but for my home and circumstances eero >>>>>>> Orbi.

Anyway, if anyone wants an RBR20 and three satellites, just shipping. Send me a message

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series