Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 and passing through static IPs

barrythedude
Follower

RBR20 and passing through static IPs

Hi folks - orbi rocks! I do have two issues and I am hoping you can help! Orbi RbR20, 2 satellites, latest firmware, windows and macs. We have a gateway from our ISP, it has two static IP addresses (1 to go to switch, DHCP for all users, wired and wireless, the 2nd Static is for the group printer) All of the users that have a DHCP assigned IP can ping the 2nd static with success, but any printer that we change to that IP disappears. I can plug into the gateway (4 ports) and it will let me print, but any other user on the orbi can only ping, and fails printing/scanning. Weird to me, but it definitely is something on the orbi that I cannot resolve.

2nd problem, cannot access remotely a WD Cloud NAS, works on wifi in the building, on data or external networks no go. I expect to open ports but it was working and have not changed port status since then.

Thanx folks!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR20 and passing through static IPs

Is this Orbi in "router" or "Access Point" (AP) mode?

In router mode, the Orbi will get an address using DHCP from the gateway router, but then it will create another DHCP pool for the devices behind the Orbi with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0  This may cause problems.

The solution suggested most often is to place the Orbi into AP mode, so that EVERY device on the network gets DHCP addresses directly from the gateway router.  This is on the Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Router/AP mode.  When the setting is changed, the Orbi will reboot and every device will get a new IP address.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7