Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR20 magenta with AT&T internet

pushkin69
Aspirant

RBR20 magenta with AT&T internet

Hi folks, seeing a weird issue with my parents’ Orbi. Their ISP is AT&T and I’ve turned off all wifi radios on their router. I connected the Orbi router to it, and put it into AP mode. And things work well for a while (weeks). Then out of nowhere, the Orbi router seems to lose internet - pages stop loading, the router shows as Magenta on the Orbi mobile app, while the satellites remain green. Restating the Orbi router once or twice seems to resolve the issue. I thought it may be an intermittent issue with the ISP, but the issue doesn’t seem to occur if I just use the AT&T router without Orbi. Am I missing a setting somewhere? I have the same setup at my own home but with verizon Fios, and never get these issues.
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? Built in router here? If so,

This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@pushkin69 wrote:
Hi folks, seeing a weird issue with my parents’ Orbi. Their ISP is AT&T and I’ve turned off all wifi radios on their router. I connected the Orbi router to it, and put it into AP mode. And things work well for a while (weeks). Then out of nowhere, the Orbi router seems to lose internet - pages stop loading, the router shows as Magenta on the Orbi mobile app, while the satellites remain green. Restating the Orbi router once or twice seems to resolve the issue. I thought it may be an intermittent issue with the ISP, but the issue doesn’t seem to occur if I just use the AT&T router without Orbi. Am I missing a setting somewhere? I have the same setup at my own home but with verizon Fios, and never get these issues.

Message 2 of 6
pushkin69
Aspirant

Orbi firmware 2.5.1.16. AT&T router is Pace Plc 5268AC. And yeah I’ve already done option 3, as per my original message.
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure your using the WAN port on the RBR for the connection to the ISP modem. 

Be sure it's getting a good IP address from the ISP modem. 

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable. CAT6 is recommended. 

Power OFF both ISP modem and RBR for 30 seconds, then back ON with the modem first then RBR. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Try settting a static IP address ON the RBR for AP mode.

Message 4 of 6
pushkin69
Aspirant

1) I am using the WAN port on the RBR for the connection to the ISP modem.
2) I do get a good IP address from the ISP modem (in the expected range 192.168.1.XXX).
3) Will try other cables but the current one seems to work for weeks.
4) When I did experience the outage, I followed your exact steps - Power OFF both ISP modem and RBR for 30 seconds, then back ON with the modem first then RBR. That resolves the outage.
5) Yes I did a factory reset 2 weeks ago, and set up the Orbi from scratch (it already had the latest firmware)
6) Have not tried a static ip, but why do you think that would cause an outage?

Ultimately, doing the restart above works for the occasional outage. But my question is whether anyone has experienced this too, and is there a resolution that would prevent them from happening? I have the same setup with Verizon Fios at home, and never get these outages. Are there additional settings require for Orbi when running with ATT?
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a static IP on the RBR. This would not be a cause of an outage, rather something with the ISP modem not getting services to the RBR in AP thus the top ring being lit up as PINK. 

Something on the ISP modem seems to be not getting services to the RBR. You'll need to work with the ISP about this on there modem. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7