Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR40 Firmware not updating

RBR40 Firmware not updating

I bought Orbi RBR40 router with 1 satelite (RBW30) about a month ago. When I set it up, the FW version was 1.8.x. During the set up, I was able to upgrade the satelite FW to 2.3.x, but the router FW stayed at 1.8.x. Using automatic update didn't show me any updated version. Last week, I got an email that a newer FW update is available. So I downloaded 2.5.1.16 form NG website and then tried to update FW using wired connection. It gave me a message - "This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product.". Since there were quite a few versions between 1.8.x and 2.5.1.16, I thought maybe I need to upgrade to one of the middle one and then upgrade to 2.5.x. So I downloaded 1.12.0.20 (the latest under 1.x). I was able to upgrade the FW to 1.12.0.20 without any issue. So next I re-tried 2.5.1.6, but got the same message. Again, thinking the same way, I tried 2.1.1.12 (the very next version of FW after 1.12.0.12), but that also failed with the same error message. I am stuck at this point and can't upgrade the FW to latest version.

When I opened a case with NG support, they just sent me steps to manually upgrade the FW - the same steps that are available on the FW upgrade page. They probably didn't even read the details of my case. I have responded to them with the same info, but haven't heard anything yet. Any help from community in this will be appreciated.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

Thanks. I didn't realize there is 2.0.0.56 in-between 1.12.x and 2.1.x. I will try it out and share my finding.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
mrfranc
Apprentice

Could you upgrade to version 1.9.1.6 first? And then to the latest.

https://kb.netgear.com/000038561/RBR40-RBS40-Firmware-Version-1-9-1-6

New Features and Enhancements:

• Enhances the attached device feature.
  • Includes router analytics.
  • Improves the auto detect firmware update feature. The router now automatically updates the firmware if it detects that the third digit in the firmware version number is higher than the current version number.
  • Improves the firmware update process.
  • Improves the wireless connection stability.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the issue where some guest clients cannot access the Internet when the router is in AP mode.
  • Fixes the backhaul interface for MU-MIMO.
  • Modifies the time the router and satellite checks for new firmware if the daily check feature is enabled.  
  • Fixes the issue where two satellites are connected to the router but the router’s attached devices page only shows that one satellite is connected.
  • Fixes the issue where the router’s ring LED lights solid magenta when the router WAN type is PPPOE or PPTP and the router mode is switched from router mode to AP mode.
  • Fixes the issue where the Orbi app can’t disable the router’s guest network.
  • Fixes the issue where the GUI displays a “No new firmware” message if the firmware update process takes longer than five minutes. The router now displays an “Update failed” message.
Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Try updating the RBR40 to v2.0.0.56 first? 

@kushalchokshi wrote:
I bought Orbi RBR40 router with 1 satelite (RBW30) about a month ago. When I se...

When I opened a case with NG support, they just sent me steps to manually upgrade the FW - the same steps that are available on the FW upgrade page. They probably didn't even read the details of my case. I have responded to them with the same info, but haven't heard anything yet. Any help from community in this will be appreciated.

@kushalchokshi
Message 3 of 8

so you recommend that I go back from 1.12.0.20 to 1.9.1.6? Wouldn't 1.12.0.20 will have all the fixes and enhancement that are in 1.9.1.6?

Message 4 of 8

Thanks. I didn't realize there is 2.0.0.56 in-between 1.12.x and 2.1.x. I will try it out and share my finding.

Message 5 of 8
mrfranc
Apprentice

@kushalchokshi wrote:

I bought Orbi RBR40 router with 1 satelite (RBW30) about a month ago. When I set it up, the FW version was 1.8.x. During the set up, I was able to upgrade the satelite FW to 2.3.x, but the router FW stayed at 1.8.x. Using automatic update didn't show me any updated version. Last week, I got an email that a newer FW update is available. So I downloaded 2.5.1.16 form NG website and then tried to update FW using wired connection. It gave me a message - "This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product.". Since there were quite a few versions between 1.8.x and 2.5.1.16, I thought maybe I need to upgrade to one of the middle one and then upgrade to 2.5.x. So I downloaded 1.12.0.20 (the latest under 1.x). I was able to upgrade the FW to 1.12.0.20 without any issue. So next I re-tried 2.5.1.6, but got the same message. Again, thinking the same way, I tried 2.1.1.12 (the very next version of FW after 1.12.0.12), but that also failed with the same error message. I am stuck at this point and can't upgrade the FW to latest version.

My mistake, " but the router FW stayed at 1.8.x." was stuck on my mind when doing the research. But your right since you were able to upgrade the FW to 1.12.0.20. Like @FURRYe38 say, try updating the RBR40 to v2.0.0.56 first.

Message 6 of 8

Upgrading to 2.0.0.56 worked and after that 2.3.5.32 and then all the way to the latest 2.5.x worked also.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yay. Glad it worked. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements