Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40: Satellite always connects to Router rather than another satellite that's closer

Roofus
Aspirant

RBR40: Satellite always connects to Router rather than another satellite that's closer

I have an RBR40 router plugged directly into my Comcast modem (at the corner of my house). On that same floor with direct line of site (40-50 feet away) is a satellite. Almost directly above that satellite on the second floor is another satellite. The second floor satellite frequently sets up a connection directly to the router -- through 3 walls and down one floor. If I reboot everything, the second floor satellite will usually connect to the first floor satellite and internet service on the second floor is great. But when it switches to the RBR40, service is terrible. No idea why it switches. 

Internet speed is 150-200mb in most areas of the house.

Is there any way to force the second floor satellite to connect to the first floor satellite? Very frustrating.

Entire systems consists of RBR40 and 3 satellites. 

Thanks very much for your input!

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR40: Satellite always connects to Router rather than another satellite that's closer

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Is Daisy Chain enabled on the RBR? 

Message 2 of 3
vajim
Master

Re: RBR40: Satellite always connects to Router rather than another satellite that's closer

Sounds like you have a design layout problem 

connecting a sat to a sat is not the best situation 

remember the signal coming out of a sat is already watered down 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7