Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR40 Security Settings

Evp58
Tutor

RBR40 Security Settings

I have had an RBR40 for a few years now and recently had to change my password.  After I changed the password on Orbi and my 30 or so devices connected to the network, my WIFI on computer and phone said that my WPA was "weak".   I went to settings on RBR40 and selected WPA2 personal.  I clicked save and it appeared to update Orbi accordingly.  But then when I returned to Wifi Security, it reverted to WPA-WPA2.

What did I do wrong???

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

If you used a web browser to change the RBRs web page setting, setting WPA2 only should remain.

Try using Safari or Firefox browser.

Be sure to clear out all browser caches before entering the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1

You can leave it on mixed mode. Apple is only giving this message as they detect TPIK being seen on the signal along with AES. They prefer not to see TPIK since that's been compromised long ago and Apple doesn't want people to use it. Most there for backwards compatibility for older wifi devices.  

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

If you used a web browser to change the RBRs web page setting, setting WPA2 only should remain. 

Try using MS Edge or Firefox browser.

Be sure to clear out all browser caches before entering the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Is this on an apple device? 
They're great at pushing people to have the latest security which is now wpa3 and requires a hardware change. 

(awesome at pushing people to new hardware) 

Its nothing to worry about

Message 3 of 5
Evp58
Tutor

My firmware is up to date:  V2.7.4.24

I use all Apple products:  iMac, MacBook Air, iPhone, etc.

My router sticks with WPA/WPA2-Personal.

I assume then that this security is ok even though I am getting message "weak security"?

Thanks

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Try using Safari or Firefox browser.

You can leave it on mixed mode. Apple is only giving this message as they detect TPIK being seen on the signal along with AES. They prefer not to see TPIK since that's been compromised long ago and Apple doesn't want people to use it. Most there for backwards compatibility for older wifi devices.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7