Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR40

Cinders151
Tutor

RBR40

I recently purchased an Orbi RBR40, with a satellite plug in.  Do I need to hook it up to my modem, if I am only going to use the service for my phone?

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ifi your wanting internet services to your phone thru the Orbi system, yes. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem? 

Message 2 of 6
Cinders151
Tutor

it is a:  BEC 8800N-DE3

VDSL2/ADSL2+ Gateway

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Couple of options:

1. Have the ISP change the mode on modem to Full Transsparent Bridge mode. Then connect up the Orbi router and use it as your main host router. This modem you have already has a built in router.

2. If the modem can't be bridged, you can use the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the ISP modem. Disable any wireless on this modem if present.

3. Use the ISP modem as your main host router and setup the Orbi router in AP mode. Connect the Orbi router in LAN to LAN mode to the modem. 

Message 4 of 6
Cinders151
Tutor

We have a cable/internet bundle service from Northern Valley Communications. On Monday, they are coming to install a new system for the TV,  a HD/DVR/Cloud system, so recording will be better and easier.  I am waiting until after the new TV system is in to do anything.  Right now, if the internet on my computer isn't working, then the HD/DVR doesn't work either.  NVC will be changing boxes for the tv's, and I don't know if they will be changing the modem.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, well you have your options.

If they give you a modem that can't be bridged, ask them about using the DMZ feature on there modem for the Orbi router. Will be all you need.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7