Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Compatibility with satellites

vickidrogers
Tutor

RBR50 Compatibility with satellites

I have an Orbi RBR50 with 1 RBS50v2 satellite as well as an RBS20 satellite.  I have WIFI security cameras.  Two of my cameras connect with the 5G side, but 1 camera stubbornly refuses to use 5G, it stays on 2.4G.  While the 2.4G camera works, the lag is horrendous and quite frankly unacceptable.  I need to get that camera on the 5G side of life.

There has been some suggestions that I could seperate out the SSIDs, but I am not techie enough to even attempt this.  The smart side of me says that I need another satellite closer to that camera.

The problem is that I cannot find another RBS satellite regardless of model number.  I can get RBK satellites. 

I believe the second R stands for router, the S stands for satellite.  What does the K stand for?  I need to know if the RBK23 satellites will work with my RBR50. 

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: RBR50 Compatibility with satellites

K is for the whole kit. (meaning router + satellite)

R-router

S-satellite

what camera is it? Does it have a 5ghz radio in it? 

How far from the satellite/router is it? 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

K is for the whole kit. (meaning router + satellite)

R-router

S-satellite

what camera is it? Does it have a 5ghz radio in it? 

How far from the satellite/router is it? 

Message 2 of 6
vickidrogers
Tutor

I have google nest iq outdoor cameras.  They do 5G and 2.4.  All 3 cameras did connect to 5G when first installed, but since the temperature started to drop, the front camera wont connect to the 5G.  It is about 25 feet from the router, but there are quite a few walls in the way.  If it was really cold outside, I'd just blame the camera, but its only -11C here.  The cameras should work to at least -20C.   I dont know if temperature would affect which frequency it connected to.  I do know distance can.  Which is why I think another satellite would be the best answer.

Message 3 of 6
vickidrogers
Tutor

Can I put a satellite in an unheated space?  I live in Canada - it can get down to -30.  Any idea what the operating temperature of the satellites is?

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

Try bringing the camera indoors and seeing if warmer temps do help it. I've got some outdoor cameras (battery powered) and they don't function below -4 F (-20c) and get sporadic anywhere around that zone. 

There is outdoor rated satellites (RBS50Y) and I've used a RBS50 satellite in my garage (insulated) in minnesota winters. It rarely gets to freezing in the garage but temps to vary quite a bit based on on my usage of the garage. 

Message 5 of 6
vickidrogers
Tutor

Thanks Plemans - I'll try that this weekend when I can throw a ladder up.  I'll see if I can find the outdoor satellite as well.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7