Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 - Have You Installed V2.7.2.104

vajim
Master

@pdeethardt wrote:

@vajim wrote:

Hopefully we'll hear more about the auto update 

I was poking around in the app one day, and I happened to notice in the details section for my RBR50 the firmware was now version 2.7.2.102. I had not applied any updates myself using any of the methods, and when I checked the debug info on the RBR50 I saw it had an uptime of around 9 days. I then checked my RBS50, and it was still running 2.5.1.16 and had an 80-ish day uptime. This led to me asking in another thread how the automatic update process from Netgear actually works, and why only the RBR50 had been updated.

Thanks   None of that actually sounds like a auto update which normally occurs with no action by the user.  Can happen while you sleep.

Message 26 of 67
pdeethardt
Apprentice

@vajim wrote:

@pdeethardt wrote:

@vajim wrote:

I was poking around in the app one day, and I happened to notice in the details section for my RBR50 the firmware was now version 2.7.2.102. I had not applied any updates myself using any of the methods, and when I checked the debug info on the RBR50 I saw it had an uptime of around 9 days. I then checked my RBS50, and it was still running 2.5.1.16 and had an 80-ish day uptime. This led to me asking in another thread how the automatic update process from Netgear actually works, and why only the RBR50 had been updated.

Thanks   None of that actually sounds like a auto update which normally occurs with no action by the user.  Can happen while you sleep.

What doesn't sound like an auto update?

Message 27 of 67
vajim
Master

@pdeethardt wrote:

@vajim wrote:

@pdeethardt wrote:

@vajim wrote:

Well...did the update happen while you were away from the pc login or orbi app?

Message 28 of 67
pdeethardt
Apprentice

@vajim wrote:

@pdeethardt wrote:

@vajim wrote:

@pdeethardt wrote:

@vajim wrote:

Correct. One day, my RBR50 was running version 2.7.2.102 with no action from me, and prior to that it was running 2.5.1.16 like my RBS50. The 2.7.2.102 update never showed up as a new available update when I'd check in both the web interface or the app, and I did not do a manual install of it on the RBR50.

Message 29 of 67
vajim
Master

@pdeethardt wrote:

@vajim wrote:

@pdeethardt wrote:

@vajim wrote:

@pdeethardt wrote:

@vajim wrote:

Correct. One day, my RBR50 was running version 2.7.2.102 with no action from me, and prior to that it was running 2.5.1.16 like my RBS50. The 2.7.2.102 update never showed up as a new available update when I'd check in both the web interface or the app, and I did not do a manual install of it on the RBR50.

Nice.    That's the other netgear mystery as to how the auto updates work. Some jump on the next update manually as soon as it becomes available while others not so much.  For me my firmware has to be nearly 6 months old. It runs and does what I want.  And in doing that I become the bad person in here for many believe if you don't perform manual updates you're crazy, stupid, and just plain ignorant.  Maybe that's my new nickname 

I try not to perform manual updates for I've had years of misery and I read the 100s of users here that had a nightmare trying to fix their system after a manual up. I still believe that netgear tweaks the updates after receiving complaints. The early updates I suppose serve a purpose to sort out the bugs. But I'm not eager to blow up my system. So I guess it's best to wait.  Thanks 

Message 30 of 67
pdeethardt
Apprentice

@vajim wrote:

@pdeethardt wrote:

@vajim wrote:

@pdeethardt wrote:

@vajim wrote:

@pdeethardt wrote:

@vajim wrote:

Nice.    That's the other netgear mystery as to how the auto updates work. Some jump on the next update manually as soon as it becomes available while others not so much.  For me my firmware has to be nearly 6 months old. It runs and does what I want.  And in doing that I become the bad person in here for many believe if you don't perform manual updates you're crazy, stupid, and just plain ignorant.  Maybe that's my new nickname 

I try not to perform manual updates for I've had years of misery and I read the 100s of users here that had a nightmare trying to fix their system after a manual up. I still believe that netgear tweaks the updates after receiving complaints. The early updates I suppose serve a purpose to sort out the bugs. But I'm not eager to blow up my system. So I guess it's best to wait.  Thanks 

No problem. I"ve always been a person that runs the latest and greatest firmware as soon as it's out, but the problems I had manually updating to 2.5.1.16 made me reconsider that. The manual install of that version worked fine on my RBS50, but not the RBR50, and then I was not able to log back into its web interface. It would only partially load the main page. Fortunately that update had also showed up as a new update in the app, so I was able to run the update process on the RBR50 from the app, and after that everything came back up ok. From that point on I've decided that I'm only going to install an update once it shows up in the app so I have a fallback to rely on in case something goes wrong. I installed version 2.7.2.104 using the firmware update section under the advanced tab in the web interface, and it worked with no issues. Maybe more recent versions of the firmware work better with the manual update, but I'm pretty hesitant to try it.

I'm also confused as to why the automatic update process would only update my RBR50 to the current version, and not the RBS50. Seems like that could lead to issues if the same thing is occuring on other systems, as running different versions of firmware on each device is generally a no-no.

Message 31 of 67
vajim
Master

Yes being on different firmware versions can cause problems.  Not that I have personal experience but only repeating what I've read in here

maybe login on the pc login and see if you update manual whatever that is behind 

good luck and all the best 

Message 32 of 67
pdeethardt
Apprentice

@vajim wrote:

Yes being on different firmware versions can cause problems.  Not that I have personal experience but only repeating what I've read in here

maybe login on the pc login and see if you update manual whatever that is behind 

Yeah, that's what I did with the RBS50, but it just seemed odd to me that the system wouldn't update all components automatically.

Message 33 of 67
vajim
Master

@pdeethardt wrote:

@vajim wrote:

Yeah, that's what I did with the RBS50, but it just seemed odd to me that the system wouldn't update all components automatically.

It's got be a file possible on your pc or router or the netgear cloud that keeps track of what version you have on your network 

In your case maybe the file or info that netgear had on you says you only need what you got.  

Message 34 of 67
JoeHag
Tutor

Not sure. I have the RBR50 and RBR50 sat -wired- and an RBS40v sat - wireless, about 1/2 between the two RBR50s. The website app shows the 40v status as "Disconnected", no IP no mac,etc. However, the Android app network app shows both sats connected (correctly). Also, the web app shows DEVICES in the device list as connected to both routers (correctly). Is this a problem with this new code?.

Message 35 of 67
vajim
Master

@JoeHag wrote:

Not sure. I have the RBR50 and RBR50 sat -wired- and an RBS40v sat - wireless, about 1/2 between the two RBR50s. The website app shows the 40v status as "Disconnected", no IP no mac,etc. However, the Android app network app shows both sats connected (correctly). Also, the web app shows DEVICES in the device list as connected to both routers (correctly). Is this a problem with this new code?.

I wouldn't use the app.  Lots of problems being reported.

You may want to try the pc login

Message 36 of 67
TristanC
Initiate

I'm seeing some issues since updating to V2.7.2.104. The iOS app no longer shows a network map or attached satellites.

The web interface is incredibly slow to show attached satellites and devices. Have rebooted the router and satellites a number of times, but no change.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 37 of 67
vajim
Master

@TristanC wrote:

I'm seeing some issues since updating to V2.7.2.104. The iOS app no longer shows a network map or attached satellites.

The web interface is incredibly slow to show attached satellites and devices. Have rebooted the router and satellites a number of times, but no change.

I've seen the problem you describe for several weeks.  I tried rebooting and the problem remained.  

The list in the PC login was wrong for all of my devices were fine as well as my sats.  I don't use the app.

Last week without any further action by me, the list now appears to be correct.  I don't look at all that much but it certainly shows the sats connected.

I don't think it's related to FW.

Message 38 of 67
jschaff
Tutor

I'm having some issues that seemd to occur post firmware update.  Where I manually initiated an update thru the Orbi Web GUI interface (not the app).  However I'm not sure if my issue is coincidiental, or if it is related to my v102 to v104 firmware update.  It's also worth mentioning that I didn't notice the issue until about a week after my upgrade (not to say that it wasn't there, just that was the first I noticed).  Thus I'm posting here just to see if anyone else has run into something like this.

My issue:  For the past couple of weeks when I get up in the morning I find my devices reporting no internet.  Sometimes this is just a few devices (mix of wired and wireless), and other times it is all devices.  And twice this has happened in the middle of the day.  While troubleshooting, I've discoverd that it's often (but not always) that the impacted devices don't have DNS.  More specidifaclly those devices can ping out to a static IP address like 8.8.8.8, but they are unable to resolve a websites host name such as google, yahoo, espn, etc...  If I disconnect and reconnect an impacted device, or renewing it's dhcp, that seems to have no impact on the symptoms.  Howver most of the time I can log into the router's admin console using the IP address, go to the advanced tab, go to setup, and then go to internet setup.  On the top of that page there is a button labeled Test.  If I click on the test button, more often then not all my devices start working again.  Sometimes I get a 404 error that the router can't get out to the internet, in which case I then reboot the Orbi router and everything starts working again.  

I know that this is not an internet issue, as my network is a Motorola SBG6580 cable modem / router (wifi completely disabled), with the Orbi RBR50 (running primary and guest wifi networks) connected to one of the Motorola's 4 ethernet ports, and then a Netgear GSS116E switch (for most of my wired connections) connected to one of the Orbi router's 4 ethernet ports. 

When the issue is occuring I can log into the Motorola's admin interface and test my internet connectivity.  Additionally I can directly connect a laptop to the Motorola SBG6580's ethernet port and see that I get DNS via DHCP... and that I can again connect to the internet and resolve hostnames for internet sites.  Finally I can log into the orbi and see that it has a static IP configured on it's WAN interface along with staticly defined DNS servers (such as google's 8.8.8.8).  But again a wired or wireless device chained off the Orbi router or Orbi satallite, doesn't resolve hostnames due to missing DNS servers... unless the device in question had statically configured dns servers.

Anyhow due to the frequencly of the issue, I'm considering trying to reset the ORBI to stock and then reconfigure it from scratch... Just to see if that makes the issue go away, as some people in this thread mentioned that seems to get rid of ghosts in the system.

Thanks for reading this lengthy post and any comments you might provide,
jschaff

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 39 of 67
jschaff
Tutor

@jschaff wrote:

I'm having some issues that seemd to occur post firmware update.  Where I manually initiated an update thru the Orbi Web GUI interface (not the app).  However I'm not sure if my issue is coincidiental, or if it is related to my v102 to v104 firmware update.  It's also worth mentioning that I didn't notice the issue until about a week after my upgrade (not to say that it wasn't there, just that was the first I noticed).  Thus I'm posting here just to see if anyone else has run into something like this.

My issue:  For the past couple of weeks when I get up in the morning I find my devices reporting no internet.  Sometimes this is just a few devices (mix of wired and wireless), and other times it is all devices.  And twice this has happened in the middle of the day.  While troubleshooting, I've discoverd that it's often (but not always) that the impacted devices don't have DNS.  More specidifaclly those devices can ping out to a static IP address like 8.8.8.8, but they are unable to resolve a websites host name such as google, yahoo, espn, etc... 

After digging, it seems that my DNS related issue is not specifically related to the latest firmware update.  There are quite a few threads about this topic spread throught the Netgear forums, such as the link provided below.  That said, after reading thru these fourm posts I realized that my DNS issue started occuring very close to day light savings time.  Furthermore the resolution suggested in the form posts that seems to work for me was unchecking the box for day light savings time found under the advanced NTP settings in the router's web console.  Since making that change I've not had a reocurrance of my once daily DNS issues.

Fourm discussion about Orbi's intermitant DNS related issues:  

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Intermittent-DNS-Errors-and-WiFi-Issues/td-p/1950768

Message 40 of 67
nontechnical
Tutor

Upgrade installed fine but ever since then network is bad. Drops connections, network avaialble but no internet connection etc. Clearly this patch was not tested very well. Rubbish code

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 41 of 67
vajim
Master

@nontechnical wrote:

Upgrade installed fine but ever since then network is bad. Drops connections, network avaialble but no internet connection etc. Clearly this patch was not tested very well. Rubbish code

well alrighty then.  Things appear to be on track.  Start with garbage and end with garbage.

Message 42 of 67
nontechnical
Tutor

Does yor network work properly though? My install worked perfectly but now devices disconnect if they are idle, and network loses connectivity to the internet. I have had to reboot 10 times in the last 2 days. highly disruptive. Very poor quality in software development process.

Message 43 of 67
CrimpOn
Guru

There is a horrible situation that started with the change in Daylight Saving Time that causes certain Orbi RBR50 routers to stop resolving Domain Names until they are restarted.  Netgear engineers have traced the problem to a coding error in the Traffic Meter feature. Looks like there is abolutely no chance Netgear will release a firmware fix before April, so the easiest solution is to go into the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Traffic Meter (toward the bottom of the menu) and uncheck "Enable Traffic Meter" and Apply.

Message 44 of 67
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Daylight-Savings-Time-NTP-DNS-Issues/m-p/2074343/highlight/tru...

@nontechnical wrote:

Does yor network work properly though? My install worked perfectly but now devices disconnect if they are idle, and network loses connectivity to the internet. I have had to reboot 10 times in the last 2 days. highly disruptive. Very poor quality in software development process.

Message 45 of 67
CN_RBK-53
Tutor

Update to V2.7.2.104 has caused problems.  After the update, my internet drops daily, requiring reboots of the router.  Yesterday, internet dropped twice.

Separate reboots of the modem and Orbi have isolated the problem to the router.  Contact with my internet provider has confirmed there were no system outages.

Contact to Netgear technical support is useless.  I was assigned a case number, and every time I am transferred to technical support, the call gets dropped.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 46 of 67
cblaze22
Tutor

Did you split the wifi band on different names?

Message 47 of 67
vajim
Master

@CN_RBK-53 wrote:

Update to V2.7.2.104 has caused problems.  After the update, my internet drops daily, requiring reboots of the router.  Yesterday, internet dropped twice.

Separate reboots of the modem and Orbi have isolated the problem to the router.  Contact with my internet provider has confirmed there were no system outages.

Contact to Netgear technical support is useless.  I was assigned a case number, and every time I am transferred to technical support, the call gets dropped.

get rid of V2.7.2.104 and your life will improve 

Message 48 of 67
CN_RBK-53
Tutor

SSID is not split

Message 49 of 67
CN_RBK-53
Tutor

Agree, I am planning to revert back.

I have downloaded V2.6.1.40 files from support.

As this is my first manual update, which do you advise to update first - satellites or router?

Message 50 of 67
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7