Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 Internet Dropping Out

jasetheace
Aspirant

RBR50 Internet Dropping Out

Hi there,

For around 4-5 weeks now I have been experiencing internet drops outs. There is no regular pattern to the drop outs.

It could be as less as 2 per day or 5 plus a day.

When the internet drops out all local wireless devices such as my NAS are still available. It is only the internet connection that is unusable.
The logs on Orbi router doesn’t detect the drop out, it’s as if the internet is still connected. To resolve the issue I restart my Fibre unit supplied my Chrous, I don’t touch the Orbi router and in around 5 minutes I am back up and running.
I am running firmware version V2.5.1.16 RBR50 with two additional satellites. Any help would be much apricated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 11
jasetheace
Aspirant

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

It was installed by Chrous not sure on the details but will find out.

https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

This link doesnt work for me.

I have the mail Orbi in the garage next to the fibre router.  Second larger one (that comes with it) upstairs and a 3rd one in the lounge.  The house is 2 levels.

I havent done a factory reset, would you recommend this?  Wireless doesnt drop out, its only the internet.  When it drops out i have verifiyed it can still connect to local resources such as my NAS box.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets see if you can find the details of your ISP modem first before a reset. 

Message 4 of 11
jasetheace
Aspirant

Here is a picture of  it

Message 5 of 11
jasetheace
Aspirant

And another picture

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, by the looks its just an ONT, no built in router or wifi. What that the LAN cable going from the ONT to the RBR? 

Lets try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. Power OFF the ONT for 1 minute then back ON when your waiting for the RBR to come to ready. 

Walk thru the setup wizard on the RBR. Don't enable any Armor or Circle. 

Message 7 of 11
Mstrbig
Master

Since you say it immediately connects are resetting the ONT, there would be no need to factory reset the Orbi router.  

From the looks of the ONT in the pics, you are probably experiencing overheating or moisture. I suggest cleaning the ONT with air and maybe while you are at it replace the ethernet cable to the Orbi router. If that doesn't resolve it, contact Chorus and have them replace the ONT.

Message 8 of 11
jasetheace
Aspirant

Thanks for that, i'll try that first because resetting it is a biggish job considering all the devices i have connected to it.  I do a clean out and cable replacement and post my finding.  It usually drops out 2-3 times a day so I will know pretty quick if its fixed.

Message 9 of 11
Mstrbig
Master

@jasetheace wrote:

Thanks for that, i'll try that first because resetting it is a biggish job considering all the devices i have connected to it.  I do a clean out and cable replacement and post my finding.  It usually drops out 2-3 times a day so I will know pretty quick if its fixed.

I forgot to mention, try another LAN port on the ONT as well, or plug and unplug the network cable a few times to clean the contacts, as you may have corosion depending on the age and if it is in a garage or area with moisture, heat, cold. I'm in Florida and nothing survives in the garage this time of year.

Message 10 of 11
jasetheace
Aspirant

Looks like a clean didnt solve it. Lost the internet yesterday evening.  Chrous see no issues at there end and are not going to replace the unit.   I'll try a new eathernet cable today.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7