× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50, RBS50 won't find 2.7.1.60 firmware update

Badger21
Tutor

RBR50, RBS50 won't find 2.7.1.60 firmware update

I got the email from Netgear today informing me I needed to update the firmware to the latest version for security reasons, neither the app or the web interface will find the latest update online. It just says no new firmware available even though it's on 2.5.2.4. I've tried restartting the router but it still won't find the new update. 

I prefer not to attempt a manual update as I'm not a technical user. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
alokeprasad
Mentor

Manual update to ver 2.7.1.60 is the only option at this time. Netgear has not placed newer versions on their update servers.

There are lots of threads here discussing the pros/cons for updating (or not) manually.  Please read and then decide if you are up to it.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
alokeprasad
Mentor

Manual update to ver 2.7.1.60 is the only option at this time. Netgear has not placed newer versions on their update servers.

There are lots of threads here discussing the pros/cons for updating (or not) manually.  Please read and then decide if you are up to it.

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

If your in the USA region, then v2.7 can be used:

You can manaually download v60 files from NGs support site. Apply v60 to the RBS first then RBR lastly. You'll see v102 available then on the RBRs web page. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Router-Firmware-Version-V2-7-2-102/m-p/2027821/high...

If your not in the USA, then most current version for all other regions is v40:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

Up to you if you wanna update. Good Luck.

@Badger21 wrote:

I got the email from Netgear today informing me I needed to update the firmware to the latest version for security reasons, neither the app or the web interface will find the latest update online. It just says no new firmware available even though it's on 2.5.2.4. I've tried restartting the router but it still won't find the new update. 

I prefer not to attempt a manual update as I'm not a technical user. 

Message 3 of 7
Badger21
Tutor

I went ahead with the manual update. 

Satalite first and then router (connected through a switch port to the router), then after I gave it a awhile to reboot, launching the iOS app it prompted me to update the satalite firmware again. So updated the satalite firmware again (this time through the app) and I'm now on version 2.7.2.102 for both the router and satailite. 

Message 4 of 7
Badger21
Tutor

@alokeprasad wrote:

They really should mention that, instead of just including a link with instructions of how to update through the app. 

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad the update went well for you. I recommend making a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Helps safe time if a reset is needed. 

Enjoy.

Message 6 of 7
alokeprasad
Mentor

@Badger21 wrote:

@alokeprasad wrote:

They really should mention that, instead of just including a link with instructions of how to update through the app. 

No arguments there.

Better still, they should make the version they want users to use, after quality-checking it for bugs and smooth installation, availabe for upgrade using the normal update proccess: iOS and Android app and web interface.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series