Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 - Slow WiFI

Crusader87
Aspirant

RBR50 - Slow WiFI

I have had this Oribi for some time now.

The first ISP I used to set Orbi up with was Century Link.  It ran great 800 mbs to my phone and all my devices.

I then switched to Xfinity. It still work at the speed I puchased. The speed was not as fast as Century Link 1gig.

I then switched back Century Link and I can't get the speeds on wifi that I got the first time.  But if I attach via ethernet I can see the high speeds.  I changed AP to router and still no luck. Location is still the same as the first time.

Any Suggestions.

S

RBR50,V2.7.2.104,MacOS 10.14.6

Message 1 of 21
vajim
Master

modem?

orbi model?

Orbi firmware?

Message 2 of 21
Crusader87
Aspirant

modem?

The modem is a Century Link.  But when I check the speed at the Orbi it is correct so is on ethernet

orbi model?

RBR50

Orbi firmware?

Firmware is all to date.

Message 3 of 21
vajim
Master

@Crusader87 wrote:

modem?

The modem is a Century Link.  But when I check the speed at the Orbi it is correct so is on ethernet

orbi model?

RBR50

Orbi firmware?

Firmware is all to date.

your ticket has been assigned to @Ha_Ku_Na 

Message 4 of 21
Crusader87
Aspirant

Still slow.  I wanted to get another ORBI with wifi 6 but if I can't figure out this probelm I think I will try another mesh router.

Message 5 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi AC on 5Ghz will top out and max out at around 400-500Mpbs. Same goes for Orbi AX even if your device supports AX mode. The main problem is that most phones and pads are limited by there Antenna design, 2x2. Some devices have 4x4 and thus can get higher speeds past 500Mpbs and near 900Mpbs. 

Wired LAN cable speeds should be near 900Mpbs thru the RBR. 

@Crusader87 wrote:

The first ISP I used to set Orbi up with was Century Link.  It ran great 800 mbs to my phone and all my devices.

I then switched to Xfinity. It still work at the speed I puchased. The speed was not as fast as Century Link 1gig.

I then switched back Century Link and I can't get the speeds on wifi that I got the first time.  But if I attach via ethernet I can see the high speeds.  I changed AP to router and still no luck. Location is still the same as the first time.

Any Suggestions.

S

Message 6 of 21
tak1313
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Orbi AC on 5Ghz will top out and max out at around 400-500Mpbs. Same goes for Orbi AX even if your device supports AX mode. The main problem is that most phones and pads are limited by there Antenna design, 2x2. Some devices have 4x4 and thus can get higher speeds past 500Mpbs and near 900Mpbs. 

Wired LAN cable speeds should be near 900Mpbs thru the RBR. 

@Crusader87 wrote:

Any Suggestions.

S

The bottleneck does not appear to be the phone, as he/she states that it worked at 800mbps to the phone prior to switching out then switching back to Century Link.

Message 7 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

The limitation will be Orbi. 

Message 8 of 21
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The limitation will be Orbi. 

What?

Message 9 of 21
Crusader87
Aspirant

I got 800 mbs on all my devices just not my phone.  That is why it is odd that you said it is at its MAX speed is 400-500 Mbps. 

Message 10 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

With the Orbi AC or your ISP modem router? 

Message 11 of 21
Crusader87
Aspirant

Orbi.

Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What wireless devices are you using? 

What speed test app are you using? Orbi app or built in Orbi speed test on the RBR? 

Message 13 of 21
Crusader87
Aspirant

MacBook Pro

What speed test app are you using? Orbi app or built in Orbi speed test on the RBR? 

I used speedtest.net

I included a screen shot.  It confirms that the Orbi is getting the right speed but can't transfer via a wifi something close to that speed,

Message 14 of 21
vajim
Master

@Crusader87 wrote:

I included a screen shot.  It confirms that the Orbi is getting the right speed but can't transfer via a wifi something close to that speed,

and you never will

Message 15 of 21
Crusader87
Aspirant

But I have gotten those speeds.

Message 16 of 21
vajim
Master

@Crusader87 wrote:

But I have gotten those speeds.

Looks like your problems may have started when you went to Xfinity. 

have you called them?

Message 17 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Those are speeds with the RBRs speed test app that only tests the connection speed between the RBR and ISP modem out to the internet on the wire. 

You not ever see those data rates when doing xfer or speed test on WiFi. Try loading the ooklas speed test app on your Mac book then connect the mac book wireless to the RBR. Run the speed test using that app. This will test the wifi from the Mac book thru the RBR.

@Crusader87 wrote:

MacBook Pro

I used speedtest.net

Message 18 of 21
tak1313
Luminary

I believe what the OP is trying to convey is the fact that he used to get 800mbps at the device (over wifi - such as the speedtest app or through browser) when he used the Orbi with Century.

He then switched from Century to Xfinity, then back to Century; however, when he went back to Century, he was only able to get 400mpbs over wifi at the device despite Orbi showing it could connect at 800 mpbs at the modem.

Message 19 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully the OP can give more details on this. 5Ghz is limited to 1, Antenna design. 2. Supported Connect Rate and ChannelWidth Rates. 3. Bandwidth. 

5Ghz AC on 80Mhz maxes out at aroudn 400-500Mpbs. If the Orbi supported 1733Mbps at 160Mhz and if the client device supported same and 4x4 antenna design, then yes wifi speed maybe seen over 500Mbps. 

I have a mac book pro as well. Speds while it's connected at the RBR are around 500Mpbs while using ooklas installable speed test app, no the speed test app on the RBR:

Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 6.11.46 PM.png

I have seen my mac book pro do around 700Mbps with a Orbi AX system. Not with Orbi AC though.

Message 20 of 21
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Hopefully the OP can give more details on this. 5Ghz is limited to 1, Antenna design. 2. Supported Connect Rate and ChannelWidth Rates. 3. Bandwidth. 

5Ghz AC on 80Mhz maxes out at aroudn 400-500Mpbs. If the Orbi supported 1733Mbps at 160Mhz and if the client device supported same and 4x4 antenna design, then yes wifi speed maybe seen over 500Mbps. 

I have a mac book pro as well. Speds while it's connected at the RBR are around 500Mpbs while using ooklas installable speed test app, no the speed test app on the RBR:

Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 6.11.46 PM.png

I have seen my mac book pro do around 700Mbps with a Orbi AX system. Not with Orbi AC though.

What?

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7