Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 Unable to login even after changing admin password

rkchang
Tutor

RBR50 Unable to login even after changing admin password

I just recently purchased and installed an Orbi RBR50 set (router + 2 satellites) in our home. I was able to do the initial setup through the iOS Orbi app. Now, I'm hoping to get to some of the more advanced features that I've seen mentioned to be accessible through orbilogin.net (e.g., changing the default DNS servers, adjusting security level, etc.), as well as see if I can more accurately diagnose why the LAN ports do not appear to be working on one of the satellites.

When I try to load up the webpage via my web browser (tried Safari, Chrome, and Firefox on my MacBook Pro/10.15.3 Catalina), it will not respond to the admin password that I had set up. Even after I go through the process of changing the password via entering the serial number and answering the security questions, it still will not let me log in with the new password, I've set up. I can log in via my iOS app just fine, just not through my laptop's web browser.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate on top of the RBR, then log in to orbilogin.com using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on. 

Seems like there maybe a problem with the Orbi app and changing PWs there. 

Something to post about here in the Orbi app forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app
Good Luck.

@rkchang wrote:

I just recently purchased and installed an Orbi RBR50 set (router + 2 satellites) in our home. I was able to do the initial setup through the iOS Orbi app. Now, I'm hoping to get to some of the more advanced features that I've seen mentioned to be accessible through orbilogin.net (e.g., changing the default DNS servers, adjusting security level, etc.), as well as see if I can more accurately diagnose why the LAN ports do not appear to be working on one of the satellites.

When I try to load up the webpage via my web browser (tried Safari, Chrome, and Firefox on my MacBook Pro/10.15.3 Catalina), it will not respond to the admin password that I had set up. Even after I go through the process of changing the password via entering the serial number and answering the security questions, it still will not let me log in with the new password, I've set up. I can log in via my iOS app just fine, just not through my laptop's web browser.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The iOS App does allow the access using the changed password? Just curious...

Message 2 of 9
rkchang
Tutor

Yes! I can login via iOS app with the new password.

Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Any Internet "security" software on top if your macOS system? Backgroud: These often block BASIC AUTH on what they consider "insecure", e.g. http only, no valid certificate, ...

Message 4 of 9
rkchang
Tutor

To my knowledge, there's no security software on top of this. I do have Sophos Home installed, but this more of an antivirus program rather than a network security solution. Plus, until installing the Orbi, my traffic to certain other websites has never before been blocked.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate on top of the RBR, then log in to orbilogin.com using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on. 

Seems like there maybe a problem with the Orbi app and changing PWs there. 

Something to post about here in the Orbi app forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app
Good Luck.

@rkchang wrote:

Message 6 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@rkchang wrote:

... there's no security software on top of this. I do have Sophos Home installed, but this more of an antivirus program rather than a network security solution....

Had fighted with Sophos these days because of captive portals did no longer came up (and still don't...). Currently a fingerpointig issue, Apple and Sophos made some changes...

@rkchang wrote:

Plus, until installing the Orbi, my traffic to certain other websites has never before been blocked.

There might be not many using http basic auth anymore in the wild Internet.

Sophos does capture almost anything, also on a Mac - Web trafic, web cam, microphone, ...

Uninstall - disabling does not work correct either - and try Orbi again.

Message 7 of 9
rkchang
Tutor

Factory resetting it, then setting up the Orbi through the web interface, instead of the iOS app, seemed to fix EVERYTHING. Not only can I now log in via regular web browser, but this seemed to fix the problem of the Orbi blocking certain websites, and even now the LAN ports on my satellite appear to be working!

Moral of the story: Setting up wireless the old-fashioned way and not through some gimmicky mobile app is always best! 🙂

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad the reset worked out and setting up thru web page. Seen odd issues with the Orbi app. I mostly use the web page when setting up any router. Use the app later on for checking on things. 

Be sure to do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping now. Saves time if a reset is needed later on. 

@rkchang wrote:

Factory resetting it, then setting up the Orbi through the web interface, instead of the iOS app, seemed to fix EVERYTHING. Not only can I now log in via regular web browser, but this seemed to fix the problem of the Orbi blocking certain websites, and even now the LAN ports on my satellite appear to be working!

Moral of the story: Setting up wireless the old-fashioned way and not through some gimmicky mobile app is always best! 🙂

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7