× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 and ATT Fiber?

gvboggs
Aspirant

RBR50 and ATT Fiber?

Hi, I have a RBR50 with 3 additional satellites.  Worked great with Comcast internet.  Just moved and the new neighborhood as AT&T Fiber.  I thought I would give it a try.  AT&T hardware (router) is up and running.  I can connect PC's / ios devices to it just fine.  I was not able to get my RBR50 to connect at all.  I tried IP Passthrough on the ATT device to no avail.  I performed a factory reset on my RBR50 and am now completely stuck.  I can't even get through the initial Orbi set up.  I connect to the ORBI32 wifi with my phone.  The Orbi app detects the RBR50 and attempts to set it up.,  However, it says to "check the ethernet cable" and won't let me proceed.  I've tried three different cables across multiple ports on the ATT Router.  At this point I don't see a way to get past the initial Orbi set up after the reset.  I'd really appreciate any guidance on 1) getting past the initial set up and 2) how to get it working with ATT Fiber.

Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

try hardwiring in with a pc/laptop and set it up using a browser. during setup, put the Orbi in access point mode. 

Message 2 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

Just to be clear: If the AT&T box creally can be put into "IP pass-through" mode, then only one device can be connected to the AT&T.

If the Orbi router is factory reset (not just 'reset') and the WAN (yellow) port is connected to the AT&T router (with the AT&T router in its default mode), then this should happen:

• The Orbi router should go through a 2-3 minute boot up sequence, with the ring light at the top 'blinking', and then 'fading', and finally turning blue.
  • There should be a new WiFi network matching the information on the router product label, i.e. the WiFi SSID should be ORBIxx and the WiFi password should match the product label.
  • At this point, there will be two WiFi networks in the house, one from AT&T and one from Orbi.
  • Devices connected directly to the AT&T box will get IP addresses from the AT&T box.
  • Devices connected to the Orbi will get IP addresses from the Orbi.
  • Yes, this is the dreaded "Double NAT" https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
  • Every device should be able to reach the internet.
  • Notice there has been no mention of the Orbi 'app'.
  • If you want to change the SSID/password (perhaps so that a whole bunch of WiFi devices do not have to be reconfigured, then either connect a web browser to http://orbilogin.net (with credentials "admin" and "password") or connect a smartphone to the Orbi SSID and open the app.

Many customers would just "leave well alone" and stop here.

Others might decide to disable the AT&T WiFi (a pointless signal competing with their Orbi WiFi).

If all devices are connected to the Orbi (only the Orbi connected to AT&T), nearly everybody can just get on with life.

If you need one of the applications that is affected by Double NAT, then you have two choices:

• Put the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode, or
  • Put the AT&T into "pass-through" or "bridge" mode.
Message 3 of 14
antinode
Guru

> [...] Worked great with Comcast internet. [...]

When it was connected to what?  A modem?  A modem+router?

> [...] The Orbi app [...]

I'd try using a web browser instead of any Netgear-supplied app.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read.  Look for
"Use a web browser to access the router".

> [...] AT&T hardware (router) is up and running. [...]

Actual maker and model number?  If it's configured as a
(modem+)router, then you might want to configure the RBR50 as a wireless
access point.  Cascading multiple NAT routers can cause multiple
problems.  In the User Manual, look for "Use the router as a WiFi
access point".

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure all wifi radios on the ATT router, if enabled are fully disabled. 

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Check the LAN cable between the RBR and ATT router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellit

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

@gvboggs wrote:

Hi, I have a RBR50 with 3 additional satellites.  Worked great with Comcast internet.  Just moved and the new neighborhood as AT&T Fiber.  I thought I would give it a try.  AT&T hardware (router) is up and running.  I can connect PC's / ios devices to it just fine.  I was not able to get my RBR50 to connect at all.  I tried IP Passthrough on the ATT device to no avail.  I performed a factory reset on my RBR50 and am now completely stuck.  I can't even get through the initial Orbi set up.  I connect to the ORBI32 wifi with my phone.  The Orbi app detects the RBR50 and attempts to set it up.,  However, it says to "check the ethernet cable" and won't let me proceed.  I've tried three different cables across multiple ports on the ATT Router.  At this point I don't see a way to get past the initial Orbi set up after the reset.  I'd really appreciate any guidance on 1) getting past the initial set up and 2) how to get it working with ATT Fiber.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 14
gvboggs
Aspirant

This got me past the initial setup. Thank you. I tried AP mode and couldn't get it to work. Done for the night. Going to reset both att and orbi hw in the AM and try AP mode again.
Message 6 of 14
gvboggs
Aspirant

Everything you stated was my understanding after this mornings research. However, I never could get the orbi or any device connected to the orbi to see the internet.
Message 7 of 14
gvboggs
Aspirant

Worked great previously on Comcast with a cable modem. I'm past the initial set up now. Still struggling with getting the orbi to see the internet. Done for the night, resetting and trying again in the AM.
Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Work with the RBR first with out the RBS online. Leave them OFF.

I'd call up the ISP and see if they can help you with there modem. IP pass thru should work with the RBR in router mode. Don't use IP pass thru with the RBR in AP Mode. 

NIght. 

Message 9 of 14
gvboggs
Aspirant

Option 1 is not viable with the hardware att sent to me. I tried option 2(IP pass through) and option 3( AP mode) without success.

For IP pass through, I don't think the att device ever have the orbi an IP address. I tried dynamic IP PT, didn't work. I tried fixed IP PT and never saw the orbi as a device connected ( I did see my pc's and ios devices). I even hard coded the orbi Mac address to no avail.

I tried AP shortly before throwing in the towel. Plan to reset both devices in the AM and try again.

I have 3 satellites, but none of them are in play at this point. So square footage shouldn't matter. I'm just trying to get the rbr50 to work. I'll scale it out after that. Thanks
Message 10 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 11 of 14
antinode
Guru

> Be sure all wifi radios on the ATT router, if enabled are fully
> disabled.

Unless you want to use them.  They're not automatically fatal.

Message 12 of 14
gvboggs
Aspirant

After wrestling with my rbr50 for over 10 hours yesterday, I gave up. I went out and bought a Ubiquiti Alien router and had it working with IP Pass through in less than 10 minutes.
Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements