Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 looses internet connection

sweerik
Aspirant

RBR50 looses internet connection

RBR50 with firmware 2.7.4.24 and 3 RBS50 and 1 RBW30 satellites looses internet connection intermittently.

Local wifi and satellites works fine but the router just stops to be connected to Internet. LED indicator turns PINK.

Reboot and power off doesn't solves the problem, Only a reset on router and a fresh installation of router brings internet back.

Problem started September 6'th and has required a hard reset and installation approx once a week. Previous years very stable without problems.

No changes in ISP configuration, excellent support with no problems identified. Fiber. Internet phone on separate IP works well, as well as temporarily switching to a Netgear Nighthawk router. The problem seems to be with Orbi RBR 50 router.

Any suggestions? Any changes to settings? Firmware problem?

Thx

Message 1 of 17
ekhalil
Master

Is Orbi in Router or AP Mode? What is the make and model of the ISP router to which Orbi router (RBR50) is connected?
Message 2 of 17
sweerik
Aspirant

Routermode. 

Fiber box Icotera Model: i6405-50

Message 3 of 17
ekhalil
Master

Please use the web GUI (orbilogin.com) and tell us what settings you have under >> ADVANCED >> Setup >> Internet Setup
Message 4 of 17
sweerik
Aspirant

Login: NO

Dynamic IP from ISP

DNS automatic from ISP

Standard Mac-address

DHCP option NIL

Message 5 of 17
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello sweerik,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

Please use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for your DNS configuration settings. 

Let me know if this solution was able to resolve your network stability issue!

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 6 of 17
ekhalil
Master

Thanks,
Under dynamic IP from ISP, do you see a public or private IP address?
Message 7 of 17
sweerik
Aspirant

@ekhalil Public.

Message 8 of 17
ekhalil
Master

When the issue happens, will you still be able to see public IP address?
Message 9 of 17
sweerik
Aspirant

@ekhalil Thx. I'll get back at next system down!

Message 10 of 17
Glenndebresser
Aspirant

hello,

last week my router+ sattelites did also update to the new firmware version now 1 a 2 weeks later i have a comparable problem like you

my satelites works fine but my router stops working the wifi of the router/base doesnt work anymore and plug the cable direct in the router/base doesnt give ethernet also

is this a software problem?

Message 11 of 17
sweerik
Aspirant

@ekhalil No public addresses. Looses connection, all settings are 0.0.0.0.

This time, running time 19 days before reoccurring.

Message 12 of 17
ekhalil
Master

@sweerik In the web GUI under >> ADVANCED >> ADVANCED Home >> Internet Port >> CONNECTION STATUS, what do you see on Lease Obtained?

I think your issue is related to handling of IP address lease time.

Message 13 of 17
sweerik
Aspirant

Sorry to say that doesn’t seems to be the problem. Router down again. Extensive help by ISP, the problem is not related to lease time. The problem is within the RBR50 router that just stops, goes to magenta and displays no information in Internet settings. Only identified solution is a reset and new installation. Is it hardware related, eg buy new router? Software related, return to older firmware, newer firmware seems not available? Is it software Armor? All suggestions could be of help.
Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the ONT and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Does the ISP confirm everything up to the ONT is working and to spec? 

How was the FW updated on the RBS and RBR? Via Auto Update or manually updated by PC? 

How many devices do you have connected to the system? 

Does the RBR feel extra warm or hot around the case? 

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch using a wired PC and web browser. Just set up the wifi SSID configuration. 

Do NOT enable Armor or Circle, Access Controls or Traffic Meter. 

I recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to 192.168.1.100 to .200.

Try setting manual channels 1 and 40.

Set 40Mhz co-existence on the RBR. 

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Might give Voxels FW a try and see if this changes anything...

Message 15 of 17
sweerik
Aspirant

After the last router-down experience and temporarily switching to a Nighthawk router I noticed that the small network lamp on the ISP-hub was dark with Orbi. Since I had a brand new premium Cat6a cable 10m and installation/reset several times worked with the cable it never occurred to me to be of a problerm.

Testing, everything else the same, with an older cable, Orbi returned to a functional mode.

With other words, hopefully, months with Orbi-agony, seems to be related to a cable malfunction :-()

Thx to @ekhalil and @FURRYe38 for your patience and assistance. Highly appreciated. 

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.

https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.

Enjoy. 📡

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7