× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 with static IP address provider.

SrEnergy
Aspirant

RBR50 with static IP address provider.

To use the router's built-in VPN function, a static IP address is required, which I is guaranteed by my provider.
my router is by default set up to retrieve the static ip address from my provider via HDCP,
But when I change from "Get Dynamically from ISP" to "Use Static IP Address" I no longer have internet connection 😞

SrEnergy

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact the ISP to see if they can help on this. Seems like the Static address is not being allowed on the RBR. Ask them if you have to set static ON the RBR or use DHCP and let then know what your seeing when you use static. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

If your ISP gives you a static, they may set it as static from there side, thus when the RBR connects it will see this address automaticlly and you probably don't have to set it ON the RBR. Ask the ISP for additional help and informaton regarding this. 

If you get internet services with the RBR set to Dynamic, you can probably leave this setting. 

Message 2 of 6
SrEnergy
Aspirant

Yes with dynamically assigned IP address, everything works OK, and I am always guaranteed the same IP address.

The problem is that I want to enable the router's VPN function, which can only happen if the router is set to "Use Static IP Address"

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you power off the modem and RBR for 30 seconds then back ON after you set a static on the RBR? 

So you can't setup VPN on the RBR until the RBR is set for static? 

Message 4 of 6
SrEnergy
Aspirant

now I have power ON / OFF my modem and router, with still no connection 😞

No my RBR50 will not accept setup of VPN server without it is setup to static (or Dynamic DNS which I am not interested in)

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact the ISP to see if they can help on this. Seems like the Static address is not being allowed on the RBR. Ask them if you have to set static ON the RBR or use DHCP and let then know what your seeing when you use static. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series