Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50v2 cannot connect to Tesla Wall Charger

Patientman
Aspirant

RBR50v2 cannot connect to Tesla Wall Charger

I have a RBR50v2 Router with 2 x RBS50v2 satellites. I recently added a RBS50 satellite to strengthen the signal at the front of the house.

Router Firmware Version V2.7.4.24

I have had a Tesla Gen 3 Wall Charger installed at the front of the house. The charger can see all the neighbouring WiFi networks but cannot see mine. I cannot add my network manually.

In desperation I have added a TP-Link WiFi Extender which broadcasts only a 2.4Ghz channel. This has a different SSID from the main network but this also cannot be seen by the charger.

I have seen this issue raised on the forum in 2022 but with the RBR20 router but the settings are different from the RBR50 so I cannot apply them.

I have an ongoing support call with Tesla but they cannot find any fault with the charger and are almost out of ideas.

Can anyone assist please?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

IF this charger device see the Orbi or TP-Link Wi-Fi signals, then you'll need to contact Tesla for help and support regarding there product. 

Orbi is behind on FW as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Wi-Fi-5-AC-and-Orbi-with/New-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-7-...

Something to try and see if this changing anything. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

IF this charger device see the Orbi or TP-Link Wi-Fi signals, then you'll need to contact Tesla for help and support regarding there product. 

Orbi is behind on FW as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Wi-Fi-5-AC-and-Orbi-with/New-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-7-...

Something to try and see if this changing anything. 

Message 2 of 8
Patientman
Aspirant

Thanks, but it does not see my network and Tesla have looked at it but found no fault.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Try enabling the Guest Network on the RBR. Give it a simple SSID name, say like RBR50-GuestNetwork and set the password to Password123. WPA2 and AES. Does it see this SSID name? If not, something Telsa will need to help out with. 

I presume all other wireless devices see the network name? 

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Like many Internet of Things (IoT) devices, it appears that the Tesla device creates its own WiFi hot spot and the smartphone setting things up first connects to the Tesla and then tells the Tesla to connect to the local WiFi system.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/connecting-wall-charger-to-wifi.226513/ 

I'm assuming that when standing very close to the Tesla device, the smartphone detects both the Orbi WiFi signal and that TP-Link Extender WiFi signal?

Message 5 of 8
Patientman
Aspirant

Thanks @FURRYe38  and @CrimpOn 

I have already tried all the suggestions you gave me, and gone through those with Tesla as well but the charger would not see any of my SSIDs.

HOWEVER - I downloaded the Firmware update from the link given by @FURRYe38 and spent about an hour manually updating the router and satellites and now I have successfully connected to the TP-Link extender which I added. I can now control the charger from the Tesla app.

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 7 of 8
Patientman
Aspirant

Thanks @FURRYe38  I have backed up.

Thread is marked as solved.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos