Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 + 2 wired satellites keep kicking my devices off my wifi

Fmatzkin
Aspirant

RBR850 + 2 wired satellites keep kicking my devices off my wifi

My Mesh wifi system keeps kicking off my devices. It happens mostly with Apple devices (iPhone and iPad running the latest OS)

My home has 3 floors and I have one device covering each floor, backhaul wired connection with every satellite, everything looks perfect but still the system randomly kicks my devices of the network. I can reconnect again only after many attempts.

I have around 65 devices total connected to the system (many smart home devices) and 1Gigabit FIOS connection. I am using the guest network for the smart home devices mostly. Latest firmware version.

I really don't know what else to try, and I am already thinking of throwing the system away and buying a Velop.

Any suggestion?

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850 + 2 wired satellites keep kicking my devices off my wifi

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@Fmatzkin wrote:

My Mesh wifi system keeps kicking off my devices. It happens mostly with Apple devices (iPhone and iPad running the latest OS)

My home has 3 floors and I have one device covering each floor, backhaul wired connection with every satellite, everything looks perfect but still the system randomly kicks my devices of the network. I can reconnect again only after many attempts.

Is it "mostly" or "only" Apple iPhone and iPad running the latest iOS?

We recommend posting in the AX forum because there may differences between product lines. It's embarassing to give advice only to find that "Oh, the AX product is different."  However.....

On the older Orbi product, there is debug page (http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm) Clicking "Start Capture" causes the Orbi to begin collecting waaaaay more information than I can make sense of.  There is one log file, however, logread-log1.txt, that contains a record of when devices "associate" and "disassociate" with the Orbi.  Those are WiFi management control frames.  If you were to start a debug log and then "Save" it when the iPad or iPhone goes off-line, this file may provide some information.

I guess where I am going is that it would be very useful to know whether (a) the iPhone has decided to drop the connection, or (b) the Orbi has dropped the connection.  To the users, it is obvious that the connection is no longer there, but not obvious why.

Message 3 of 5
stevesw
NETGEAR Expert

Are you seeing any warnings about your chosen SSID name on the Apple devices when you connect to the network?

Apple recently introduced a change in iOS which will cause an apple device to not stay connected to an SSID which has certain common names. 

From Apple website:

Use a name that's unique to your network, and make sure that all routers on your network use the same name for every band they support. For example, don't use common names or default names such as linksys, netgear, dlink, wireless, or 2wire, and don't give your 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands different names.

We have seen that when one of the above SSIDs is configured on the Orbi, iphones & ipads on newer iOS versions will connect for a short period and then drop off the network like you have described. When the SSID is changed to something unique, then the problem goes away.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7