× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS on a permanent magenta

Orbirbr53user
Aspirant

RBS on a permanent magenta

My RBS20 has started to always go in 'magenta' mode.
I have an RBR50 with 2 RBS50 satellites and it was not enough even though I do not have that big of a 2 storey house, the very usual English semi-detached.
So, in My 2020 I purchased the RBS20 satellite to cover the upper floor.
(Later I realised that I should not have bought the RBS20, I did not know that it had a slow backhaul, and potentially slowed down my entire setup.)
Without it now, the upper floor has very poor wifi, even though an RBS50 is just by the stairs one floor down, ie ground floor. Strange that when the ad for RBS50 says that it 'adds another 2,000 or 2,500 feet of coverage, I can't get coverage 5-6meters away.
Any idea how to make the RBS20 go out of this vicious cycle before I buy another RBS50?
I have reset the satellite numerous times, have tried synching it with the router either pressing synch first on the router or on the satellite itself, synching via the web api, synching via the mobile phone app, synching to another satellite, and I have done this over 30 times in the past 2 days, if not more.
In the beginning it would go from blue to flashing white, synch, blue, flashing white.
Now it goes from flashing white to solid magenta, then I press the synch button, flashing white, magenta, over and over again, no blue light anymore.
I am trying desperately not to have to factory-reset the entire orbi network. Strange that when I reset the satellite with a pin, the network still remembers its name, MAC address and everything
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this happening with the RBS in same room with the RBR? 

Message 2 of 8
Orbirbr53user
Aspirant

Yes, both in the same room and in another.
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version is loaded on the system? 
Has the RBS and RBR been updated at all?

Message 4 of 8
Orbirbr53user
Aspirant

I have been keeping them up to date, the last time I checked (when the RBS20 was also briefly available) they were all on 2.7.4.24.
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like a factory reset on the RBS and RBR is needed and setup from scratch using a wired PC and web browser.

A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. https://kb.netgear.com/22697/How-do-I-install-my-NETGEAR-router-using-the-router-web-interface
Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...
https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings
https://kb.netgear.com/000062081/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

After you reset the RBR and RBS, do this with RBS in same room as the RBR. What for the RBS to blink WHITE and maybe turn BLUE as they should normally turn BLUE and connect to the RBRs default SSID name. Then walk thru the setup wizard using a PC and web browser at 192.168.1.1 and the setup wizard should find all RBS. 

Message 6 of 8
Orbirbr53user
Aspirant

Thanks for that.

I am a bit confused about the order of events during the factory-reset.

Are you suggesting that I keep the ISP modem off while I carry out the factory-reset procedure?

So:

1. turn off the ISP modem
  2. RBR:
    1. press the reset button (using pin at the back) for 15 seconds - is this not supposed to be shorter, until the amber light starts blinking? If I need to wait for 15 seconds, do I simply count to 15 or do I wait for any light indicator to tell me that it is don? I also find that when I do the reset using the pin button, the satellite (I have not yet tried it with the router) does not turn back on, I press the on/off button to off position and then turn it on. Or do I need to wait after the pin action without touching the on/off button?
    2. Erase configuration settings on the router - do I do this before or after the rest button procedure above?
    3. pull off the power cord for a period of time
    4. keep it off until ISP modem does not start-up
  3. RBS: when do I reset this, after the RBR or with RBR? Does RBR need to be up?
    1. What are the steps to factory-rest the RBS, same as for RBR?
  4. turn on the ISP modem
  5. turn on the RBR, wait until it is fully up
  6. turn on the RBS and try connecting again with the RBR
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I usually FR the RBS first, then soon after FR the RBR. As the RBS and RBR begin there reset process as the RBR comes to a semi ready state, the RBS may and should auto reconnect on it's own to the RBRs default SSID name. RBS may turn BLUE on top as well. Then if you walk thru the RBR setup wizard, when you get to the add satellite section, the RBS should be detected here. Should be able to continue here and then complete the setup wizard.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7