Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS40V-200 top panel always ON (flash)

EduQR
Aspirant

RBS40V-200 top panel always ON (flash)

Hi, 

I have installed and configured (synched) a new RBS40V to my existing Orbi RBK50 mesh. Internet and WIFI is working fine, internet is being provided, with some appliances connected to it and other to the router or the third satelite. Even I configured Alexa and it is working ok.

The problem is that the top panel controls (volume, mic and speaker on/off and Alexa) keep almost always on. It just goes off for about a minute and then it goes on again (in white) for about 5 minutes, and again off for a minute.

I placed the RBS40V on the bedroom, so it is not nice to have a white glow almost all time. I saw some videos on youtube where it says that ony when you move your hand over the panel it goes on, but that is not the case on my device. But i can not find a solution or more information about this behaviour.

I tried to reinstall it (including rest to fabric specs), re.synch it, update firmware, with always getting the same result.

RBR50-router firmware: V2.5.2.4

RBS40V firmware: V2.6.1.4

Does your RBS40V acts in the same way, or does it turns off when not being in use? have you faces the same issue? how did you solve it?

Regards,

Eduardo

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
EduQR
Aspirant

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

What FW updated recently on either unit?

Possible that your FW on the 50 series v2.5 is older than whats on the RBS of v2.6

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@EduQR wrote:

Does your RBS40V acts in the same way, or does it turns off when not being in use? have you faces the same issue? how did you solve it?

Sorry, my RBS40V is up in the garage rafters where I cannot see the top panel.

The user manual shows the top panel on page 5. Can you report which  lights exactly are doing this?

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBS40V/RBS40V_UM_EN.pdf 

I, also, checked the Orbi voice controlls and see nothing that would control the light behavior.  Netgear has a community forum specifically for the Voice product.  Maybe if the question is posted in that forum, someone will have a solution.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Voice-WiFi-Meets-HiFI/bd-p/en-home-orbi-voice 

Does this still happen if the speaker is turned off?

Message 3 of 9
EduQR
Aspirant

Hi,

thanks for your comments.

My RBR and RBS are around 29 feet apart (9 mts), but the house is built of concrete and solid walls (not th regular wood and insuation as in US). Previously to install the satellite, the internet on the bedroom had a weak and slow connection.

FW updated on RBR and RBS to 2.6.1.40, and RBS40V to 2.6.1.4

The FW top board version is 27, even trying updating it (the version did not change).

About channels, 2.4 on channel 4 (Auto), and 5G 36+40+44+48 (P) as shown un Orbilogin

The topic is that internet, WIF and even Alexa works fine (the led ring on all satellits and router turn blue and then completely off when restarted). So, it does not sems to be a network problem, but more a internal/local problem on the RBS40V operation.

Only the top control panel on the RBS40V is always on, and just goes off for some seconds and then goes on again.... and that is annoying during the night. See attached image.

Eduardo.

Message 4 of 9
EduQR
Aspirant

Thanks, I will post the topic also in there...

Message 5 of 9
EduQR
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 and @CrimpOn answered your comments. I hope you can help me.

Regards, Eduardo

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@EduQR wrote:

Only the top control panel on the RBS40V is always on, and just goes off for some seconds and then goes on again.... and that is annoying during the night. See attached image.

From the picture, it appears that the BIG "volume control" light is not on.  I would be tempted to put small pieces of electrical tape over those three glowing symbols.  (There are small colored adhesive "dots" that would look a bit less "industrial", sometimes called "crafter's dots" or "coding labels".

https://www.amazon.com/Avery-Removable-Coding-Labels-Inches/dp/B000BMBU9C/ref=sr_1_39?dchild=1&keywo... 

My thinking is that once the Voice is working correctly, everything can be done by speaking "Alexa".  no need to actually touch that panel.

Message 8 of 9
EduQR
Aspirant

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7