Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 2.5.1.8 to V2.5.1.16 firmware upgrade SNAFU

justArandomGuy
Aspirant

RBS50 2.5.1.8 to V2.5.1.16 firmware upgrade SNAFU

Yesterday, I used the Orbi app on my phone to check for firmware updates for my RBR50 and RBS50 setup at home. Both pieces of hardware were running version 2.5.1.8 firmware. I used the the phone app to update the firmware. This morning, I started seeing issues with the Internet. I logged in to the Orbi web console through my browser, and noticed that the router itself had been upgraded to 2.5.1.16, but the satellite was still at 2.5.1.8. 

When I went to the firmware update section on the web console, the satellite showed the message, "Waiting for connection." But the attached devices page showed that the satellite was online and the back hall connection (ethernet) was good. And then I went back to the firmware update section, and tried the manual update tab, but the satellite was not listed there. So I could not do a manual update. 

After that, I tried a factory reset using the depressed pin behind the satellite, and that only made the satellite get into a pulsing white light mode. I decided to delete and add the satellite back, so I powered it off and I used the web console to remove it. When I turned the satellite back on, and used the web console to "sync" button to sync it with the router, the satellite was still constantly pulsing white. It has been pulsing white for a long time, and the router is not detecting it at all.

Any help on troubleshooting this is appreciated. Thanks! 

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS50 2.5.1.8 to V2.5.1.16 firmware upgrade SNAFU

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

If the RBS is still connected to the RBR, then just manually download the v16 FW file for the RBS, use the IP address the RBS gets from the RBR and log into the RBS web page and manually sent the FW file there. 

Message 2 of 7
justArandomGuy
Aspirant

Because I had already removed the satellite from the router, and the satellite is now continuously pulsing white, it's not showing up under "Attached Devices."

Before I removed it, I tried going to the IP address of the satellite and got an error message ("site cannot be reached").

Thanks.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR. 

Message 4 of 7
justArandomGuy
Aspirant

Thanks. I did what you suggested and was able to upgrade the firmware.

A couple of observations:

1) Factory reset did not reset the password to default. The satellite remembered my old password.

2) After upgrading the firmware and restarting the satellite, the satellite automatically sync'd with the router via the Ethernet backhaul. A second factory reset did not break the sync either; the satellite restarted and again automatically found and connected to the router.

3) It took about 5-10 minutes for the whole system to start functioning again, but it looks good so far.

Message 5 of 7
justArandomGuy
Aspirant

One last note – the IP address of the satellite was 192.168.1.2, not 192.168.1.250.

I wonder if that's the wired vs. wireless IP address.

Thanks,

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Pressing the reset button for 15 seconds should have cleared all configurations from the RBS.

The 1.250 is correct if the RBS is not connected in anyway to the RBR. 

Glad you got it working. Be sure to make a backup configuration to file. 

@justArandomGuy wrote:

Thanks. I did what you suggested and was able to upgrade the firmware.

A couple of observations:

1) Factory reset did not reset the password to default. The satellite remembered my old password.

2) After upgrading the firmware and restarting the satellite, the satellite automatically sync'd with the router via the Ethernet backhaul. A second factory reset did not break the sync either; the satellite restarted and again automatically found and connected to the router.

3) It took about 5-10 minutes for the whole system to start functioning again, but it looks good so far.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7