Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50 connectivity issues

KennethAlv
Tutor

RBS50 connectivity issues

Hi, I'm a Orbi owner for almost 2 years without a single issue. Last friday I began to experience connectivity issues on my satellites. When I'm connected on either of the satellites if I run a speed test the speed is too low but that not happen when I connect to the Orbi router.

I power cycle both satellites, factory defaults and none of them fix the issue. The current firmware on the Router and Satellites is V2.5.1.16, the problem begin on Friday.

Satellites are RBS50

Please help.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch on the RBR been performed since last update?

Message 2 of 33
KennethAlv
Tutor

like I said before, this is a almost 2 year setup. The problem begin on last Friday and is apparently with the satellites because the issue is not present when I'm connected to the router. 

I already do a factory reset.

Message 3 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

On the RBR as well? 

Message 4 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@KennethAlv wrote:

Hi, I'm a Orbi owner for almost 2 years without a single issue. Last friday I began to experience connectivity issues on my satellites. When I'm connected on either of the satellites if I run a speed test the speed is too low but that not happen when I connect to the Orbi router.

I power cycle both satellites, factory defaults and none of them fix the issue. The current firmware on the Router and Satellites is V2.5.1.16, the problem begin on Friday.

Satellites are RBS50

Please help.

When did you pick up v2.5.1.16?

Message 5 of 33
KennethAlv
Tutor

on all three devices

Message 6 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

@KennethAlv wrote:

on all three devices

Did you make sure Beamforming and WMM was enabled on the RBR? 

Check to see what speed your mobile devices are connected with the RBR and RBS. Use wifi sweetpots app for this. 

I would power OFF The RBS first and check with the RBR. Then power ON 1 RBS then check the speed with your device. 

Message 7 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Something happened on Friday.   

Message 8 of 33
KennethAlv
Tutor

I update the router and the satellites today. I make test on the following scenarios:

1. RBR and 1 satellite with my laptop connected to the satellite via wifi. Same results

2. RBR and 1 satellite with my laptop connected to a ethernet port on the satellite. Same results

3. RBR with the satellite in from and my laptop connected to ethernet on the satellite. Same result

4. RBR with 2 satellites and my laptop connected via wifi to the router. speed test results looks good

5. RBR with 2 satellites and my laptop connected to ethernet to the router. speed test looks good.

Message 9 of 33
KennethAlv
Tutor

no that I recall

Message 10 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

Message 11 of 33
KennethAlv
Tutor

like 27 feet. I test with the satellite right next to the router

Message 12 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Testing the RBS near the RBR won't be a good test. Way too much wifi over lap. 

What happens if you revert FW back to what you had loaded before? 

Message 13 of 33
KennethAlv
Tutor

I rollback the FW and all devices to V2.3.5.38, the issue persist on the satellites and the router just work fine.

Message 14 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Something happened on Friday.   

Message 15 of 33
KennethAlv
Tutor

no Sir, nothing happen on Friday besides that the satellites have connectivity issues. Every device that is currently connected to either one of the satellites have issues, the one connected to the router are working fine.

Message 16 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

What speeds are you seeing with the RBR and the RBS? 

What speeds should you be seeing with the RBS? 

Is Daisy Chain disabled? 

Message 17 of 33
KennethAlv
Tutor

my Internet is 200/20. When I connected to the router I get those speed most of the time (200down & 20up). When I connect my laptop to the satellites I get 30 down 13 up

Message 18 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

How long are you pressing the reset button in back then releaseing. 15 seconds is recommended then release. 

Message 19 of 33
KennethAlv
Tutor

I did that. Any fw fix for the satellites? 

Message 20 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I've been on V2.3.5.30 since Oct 2019...

so much for all those cool questions....Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 33
KennethAlv
Tutor

I was on V2.3.5.38 without any issues either

Message 22 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you downgrade both RBR and RBS to v30? 

@KennethAlv wrote:

I did that. Any fw fix for the satellites? 

Message 23 of 33
KennethAlv
Tutor

I upgrade to V2.5.1.16 because when I 1st experience the issue for some reason the satellites was running on V2.5.1.8 and the router on V2.3.5.38. I encounter that strange and then upgrade the router to V2.5.1.8 and the issue persist when my device was connected to either of the satellites. Then I proceed to downgrade all of the devices to V2.3.5.38 because that was the verison the router have when I 1st experince the issue. I have the issue all weekend and then I decide to upgrade to the latest version withoiut any luck.

Message 24 of 33
KennethAlv
Tutor

never try that one, let me downgrade to 2.3.5.30. I'll let you know

Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements