× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to force 5G backhaul connection?

Magixians
Tutor

RBS50 using backhaul and ethernet but not WiFi

Hi

How can I setup an RBS50 satellite so that it uses the wireless backhaul but without extending Wifi.

I want to put an RBS50 relatively close to the RBR50 so that I can connect some devices with ethernet cable to the RBS50.  Moving the RBR50 to the location or connecting the ethernet cable directly to the RBR50 is not possible for other reasons.

Can I setup the system in this way, and if so, how do I do it?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS50 using backhaul and ethernet but not WiFi

RBS are designed to use wireless backhaul as default and how they are connected to the RBR as well. Wireless radios on the RBR and RBS are always enabled as default. I think on the 50 series one can disable the front front haul radios or hide the SSID name, however the backhaul radio is always running. Check on the RBRs web page Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@Magixians wrote:

How can I setup an RBS50 satellite so that it uses the wireless backhaul but without extending Wifi.

Please explain "without extending WiFi".  As @FURRYe38 explained, the default setting for Orbi systems is for the router and satellites to connect over a dedicated 5G WiFi link that is separate from the 5G WiFi used for user devices.  Thus:

• The satellite should connect with a good signal.
  • Devices can be connected to the Ethernet ports on the satellite. (or a switch can be connected to the satellite to provide additional Ethernet connections).

The primary issue with locating a satellite "close" to another Orbi unit (router or satellite) is that some WiFi devices may struggle with having WiFi access points with similar signal strength.  Sometimes they "ping-pong" between the access points.  A minor issue is that locating a satellite near to another unit does not expand the area of coverage very much.

If you discover that some WiFi devices exhibit unexpected behavior, the usual advice is to reduce the Transmit Power of the Orbi system, which reduces the signal strength of all user facing radios on that frequency.  This can lead to inadequate WiFi coverage as the signal strength of every access point shrinks.

Message 3 of 13
Magixians
Tutor

How to force 5G backhaul connection?

Hi

I have three RBS50 satellites connected to my RBR50 router.

Two of them connect with a 5G backhaul and one with 2.4G.

Funny enough the 2.4G is closest to the router, in an adjacent room one wall in between, approx, 5m distance.

How can I make/force that one to also connect with 5G on the backhaul?

All units are running the latest FW version.

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Backhaul selection is automatic. 

5M is too close, try 10M.

Message 5 of 13
Magixians
Tutor

Too close for 5G? Should be the other way around in that case, shoudn't it.

I can try to rotate the units in the least favourable way, to see if it makes any difference. Moving them further apart isn't possible, unfortunately.

If there's a change i distance, direction, or whatever, how soon can I expect to see a changeover from 2.4 to 5G? Or do I need to restart?

Message 6 of 13
Magixians
Tutor

So, I swapped the unit (named R) running 2.4 with one running 5 (named V).

It is still the same unit, R, running 2.4, but now at the other end of the house vs the rotuer, and the unit, V, in adjacent room 5 meter from the router, is running still running 5G also in this position.

So backhaul 2.4 is definitely following that unit. The position the unit is in doesn't matter.

I also tried re-flashing the firmware of the R unit, that runs on 2.4, but it did not make any difference.

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible faulty RBS then. 

Try a reset on the RBS or a 30-30-30 reset on the RBS then check it. 

Yes, too close for any RBS to the RBR.

Message 8 of 13
Magixians
Tutor

According to CrimpOn in this post, putting two units close to each other should not cause issues like that.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Wi-Fi-5-AC-and-Orbi-with/RBS50-using-backhaul-and-ethernet-but...

Reset and also firmware re-load has been tested, without any difference.

Message 9 of 13
Magixians
Tutor

I can't find any way to turn off the WiFi on a specific satellite anywhere in the GUI.
All settings relates to the entire system. Logging on locally to a satellite there are also no settings to modify how the WiFi on that satellite works.

Message 10 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Placing two Orbi units close together will normally result in the highest backhaul connection signal (and thus Link Rate and speed), but is not a good practice because:

• It produces almost no increase in the area of WiFi coverage. The antennas are omnidirectional (circular).  Whatever area of coverage that results (considering walls, building materials, obstructions, etc.), overlaying another circle with a center 5 feet away means that a huge amount of coverage "overlaps".  Only a tiny sliver of coverage is "new".
  • There have been reports of devices "ping ponging" between access points because the signal strength from one (and then the other) will temporarily appear to be larger and the device gets confused.

Before Netgear removed the command line interface (telnet), there was a command that could be run to display the actual Link Rate between the router and each satellite.  I enjoyed observing how true that tiny footnote in the Product Data Sheet was about the backhaul Link Rate was.  Notice the original RBR50 claimed a "speed" for the backhaul connection of 1733 Mbps:

CrimpOn_0-1725896875912.png

And here's the footnote:

CrimpOn_1-1725896953682.png

And here's that command displaying the status of an RBS50 that lies about 20 ft away with 3 interior walls, wooden flooring, and floor joists in the path:

root@RBR50:/# satelliteinfo wifi
[
  {
    "mac address" : "A0:04:60:xx:xx:xx",
    "hop" : "1",
    "bridge mac" : "A0:04:xx:xx:xx:xx",
    "backhaul conntype" : "5GHz",
    "backhaul rssi" : "-68",
    "backhaul macaddress" : "A0:04:60:xx:xx:xx",
    "backhaul phytxrate" : "780",
    "backhaul phyrxrate" : "780",
    "backhaul parentmac" : "A0:04:60:xx:xx:xx"
  },

Instead of the connection being 1733Mbps, it is actually 780Mbps. This is still plenty fast for my needs and faster than my ISP connection.

I agree with the conclusion that the satellite is defective because another satellite placed in the same spot resulted in a 5G connection and the 2.4G connection "moved with" the offending satellite.  If it is within the hardware warranty period, I would request a replacement.

Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, seems like the one RBS is faulty and would need to be replaced if you want the 5Ghz BH.

Recommended normal distances for normal operation of RBS, is 10meters starting. Closer causes wifi signal over laps and connection issues between the RBR, RBS and wifi devices. 

@Magixians wrote:

According to CrimpOn in this post, putting two units close to each other should not cause issues like that.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Wi-Fi-5-AC-and-Orbi-with/RBS50-using-backhaul-and-ethernet-but...

Reset and also firmware re-load has been tested, without any difference.

Message 12 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

This is correct.  There is no option to manage WiFi on individual units.

If the goal is to provide Ethernet access to devices at a specific location but not WiFi, then an Orbi satellite is not the appropriate solution.  Many inexpensive WiFi Repeater devices include an Ethernet jack and can be set to not broadcast a WiFi signal.  Mesh WiFi systems were invented to facilitate mobile WiFi devices as the "roam" around the property (phones, tablets, laptops, etc.)  The previous solution of installing additional WiFi access points (extenders) did not result in seamless roaming.  True "satellites" do.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series