Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50 warranty replacement FW upgrade

Tarheel98
Aspirant

RBS50 warranty replacement FW upgrade

I have a RBR50 with two RBS50 satellites with FW v2.5.1.8. I just received a warranty replacement for one of the satellites and it came with v2.1.4.16. I am trying to upgrade the FW manually because it will not recognize that it needs a FW update. I understand that I have to take an intermediary step to v2.2.1.212 before installing v2.5.1.8. Unfortunately, the manual update gives me this error: "This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product." The file is from the NG support site. This happens with the satellite connected to the PC via Ethernet or over WIFI. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Just checking... (like, I used to ask people who called Tech Support (me), "Is it plugged in?"  After crawling under the desk, sometimes they would say, 'duh, no' and I would say, "Maybe that's the problem")

The RBS50 firmware file for 2.2.1.212 was downloaded and the .img file extracted from the zip file?

The PC not only connected to the satellite with ethernet, but also opened the satellite web home page, and selected the menu item "Firmware Update"?

Message 2 of 11
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Make sure you are using the RBS50 firmware for the satellite, not the RBR50 firmware.  Download from  https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK53#download the http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/RBS50-V2.2.1.212.zip first, unzip it, and then manually load the RBS50-V2.2.1.212.img file on the satellite.  Once it reboots with the update, repeat with the v2.5.1.8 image file for the RBS50.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 11
Tarheel98
Aspirant

Thank you, tomschmidt. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I followed your instructions (same steps as in previous tries). Satellite is plugge in. I can log into it on my network. I dowloaded and extracted the RBS50 file. The upload to the satellite appears to reach 100% every time but the IMG file is rejected. I did this now on a Mac and a Win10 PC both over Ethernet and WIFI. No dice. Rejected in all attempts. It says it is the wrong file.

Message 4 of 11
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

@Tarheel98, I suggest you contact Netgear and have them troubleshoot the issue.  You may have received a defective warranty replacement if it will not allow firmware updates.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 5 of 11
Tarheel98
Aspirant

Thank you, CrimpOn. The answer to all is "yes". Zip file is extracted to img. The browers navigates to the satellilte's home page both directly via IP and through the router. No success with the execution of the img file, though.

Message 6 of 11
Tarheel98
Aspirant

Will do, @tomschmidt . Thanks again for your time!

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

The v212 was for the RBR only. It was not required for the RBS, try manually loading the v210 RBS file first then, or try v2.5.1.8 on top of whats currently loaded now. 

@Tarheel98 wrote:

I have a RBR50 with two RBS50 satellites with FW v2.5.1.8. I just received a warranty replacement for one of the satellites and it came with v2.1.4.16. I am trying to upgrade the FW manually because it will not recognize that it needs a FW update. I understand that I have to take an intermediary step to v2.2.1.212 before installing v2.5.1.8. Unfortunately, the manual update gives me this error: "This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product." The file is from the NG support site. This happens with the satellite connected to the PC via Ethernet or over WIFI. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Message 8 of 11
Tarheel98
Aspirant

@FURRYe38Thank you for your assistance. Unfortunately, this did not work either. I have now tried to load all four FW versions that were mentioned in this thread both over Ethernet and WIFI. The result is the same every time. The error message states that the FW file is incorrect.

Message 9 of 11
Jetdrive
Luminary

Just guessing here but you might try a reset to default settings on the router and then try again?

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Hmm, Ok, lets try this, wire connect up your PC or Laptop to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS by pressing the reset button in back for 15 seconds then release. Wait 5 minutes then your PC will get an IP address. You can enter the RBSs web page at 192.168.1.250 in a web broswer. Log in as admin and PW is password. 

Try sending one of the FW files directly to it's web page here. 

Be sure that you have unzipped the downloaded file for the RBS. The extention of the file should be .IMG

Try using IE11 or FireFox browser for this. 

@Tarheel98 wrote:

@FURRYe38Thank you for your assistance. Unfortunately, this did not work either. I have now tried to load all four FW versions that were mentioned in this thread both over Ethernet and WIFI. The result is the same every time. The error message states that the FW file is incorrect.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7