× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50Y stopped syncing with main router, pulsing white forever and how to manually update firmwa

hsof168
Aspirant

RBS50Y stopped syncing with main router, pulsing white forever and how to manually update firmware

I have been using the Orbi RBK50 system + RBS50Y for about 2 years, no problem so far.

But the last week the RBS50Y just stopped syncing with the main router RBR50. I tried to reboot, re-sync, reset factory setting all of them doesn't work.

The RBR50 and RBS50 are working fine, only the RBS50Y just stops working. I tried to reset the RBS50Y to the factory setting where led power shows from green > amber > blinking amber and it doesn't do anything. It is still pulsing white, and the solid white for about 10 seconds, then pulsing white again (without me pressing any button), then solid white again for about 10 seconds and repeat.

Now I want to update the RBS50Y firmware to 2.6.1.40 manually, but I don't know how to access the satellite because RBS50Y doesn't have wired LAN port. Also the default wifi SSID of the RBS50Y (which is on the the back of the satellite SSID is ORBI92) is not showing on my available wifi networks.

I assume updating to the latest firmware will solve the problem, but how to update if I cannot access the satellite directly via wifi and it doesn't have any wired LAN port? Any ideas?

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 6
alokeprasad
Mentor

Re: RBS50Y stopped syncing with main router, pulsing white forever and how to manually update firmwa

Turn off all other satellites. Try moving the RBS50Y closer to the base router (maybe even the same room) and see if it finds the router. Factory reset it again if necessary.

I don't have  a RBS50Y, follow instructions on how to sync it with the base router.

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBS50Y/RBS50Y_QSG_EN.pdf

Message 2 of 6
hsof168
Aspirant

Already did that, and doesn't work. I turned off the other satellite and put the RBS50Y just 2 meters away from the main router RBR50. Doesn't sync at all. I did the reset, and wait until the LED solid white and press sync button within 2 minutes on both devices etc etc. but still doesn't work.

The RBS50Y just keep pulsing white, and then solid white for 10-20 seconds, and then pulsing white again, but then solid white again 10-20 seconds then pulsing white again.. and keeps repeating like that.

How do I access the satellite directly if satellite's wifi SSID is not showing on my available networks?

Message 3 of 6
alokeprasad
Mentor

You can use the satellite's IP address and web interface. For example if the satellite is at 192.168.1.2 then:

http://192.168.1.2/status.htm

This uses "admin" and the same password as the router.

If the satellite is showing up in the router's web interface Attached Devices list, then you can get it's IP address.

Message 4 of 6
hsof168
Aspirant

Yes... but before I can access the satellite IP address and web interface, I need to be in the same network as the satellite. The thing is I  cannot access the satellite own's wifi network because it is not showing anywhere on my computer or phone or ipad available networks.

Secondly, the satellite is not syncing with the router, so the satellite is not on the same network as the router and is not on the Attached Device list. So I cannot access the satellite via router's network as well.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version do you have on your RBR and RBSY?

You may need to downgrade the RBR to what had been working with the RBSY long enough for the RBSY to connect fully. THEN update the RBSY to it's latest version, then go back and re-update the RBR manually. 

@hsof168 wrote:

I have been using the Orbi RBK50 system + RBS50Y for about 2 years, no problem so far.

But the last week the RBS50Y just stopped syncing with the main router RBR50. I tried to reboot, re-sync, reset factory setting all of them doesn't work.

The RBR50 and RBS50 are working fine, only the RBS50Y just stops working. I tried to reset the RBS50Y to the factory setting where led power shows from green > amber > blinking amber and it doesn't do anything. It is still pulsing white, and the solid white for about 10 seconds, then pulsing white again (without me pressing any button), then solid white again for about 10 seconds and repeat.

Now I want to update the RBS50Y firmware to 2.6.1.40 manually, but I don't know how to access the satellite because RBS50Y doesn't have wired LAN port. Also the default wifi SSID of the RBS50Y (which is on the the back of the satellite SSID is ORBI92) is not showing on my available wifi networks.

I assume updating to the latest firmware will solve the problem, but how to update if I cannot access the satellite directly via wifi and it doesn't have any wired LAN port? Any ideas?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series