× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Remote Management “Switching Products”

stuartjsmith
Guide

Remote Management “Switching Products”

When using remote management in the orbi app, when I select my router I get a spinning circle with the text “switching products” and it doesn’t advance from there. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app and disabling and reenabling remote management when I am connected in the app when I am on WiFi, but no joy, any ideas? I have a netgear dm200 modem in modem only mode connected to my rbk53 in router mode,

Thanks in advance!
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 15
ekhalil
Master

Do you also have Remote Management enabled in the web GUI? Please see below:

Namnlöst.png

Message 2 of 15
stuartjsmith
Guide

It wasn’t switched on there no, but I have now switched it on and I get the same result. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app but get the same result. I can access the web ui interface remotely by using the IP address and port, but not in the app 😞
Message 3 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@stuartjsmith wrote:
It wasn’t switched on there no, but I have now switched it on and I get the same result. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app but get the same result. I can access the web ui interface remotely by using the IP address and port, but not in the app 😞

Can you please check if you see any of the following events in your logs:

[admin login] from source ...... 
[admin login failure] .......

The Logs you can see them under >> ADVANCED >> Administration >> Logs

Message 4 of 15
stuartjsmith
Guide

No, there doesn’t appear to be a log message of this type when I try to login from the app. I did see one in there but the timing of it did not coincide with trying to use the app
Message 5 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@stuartjsmith wrote:
No, there doesn’t appear to be a log message of this type when I try to login from the app. I did see one in there but the timing of it did not coincide with trying to use the app

Ok, it seems that your account in the Netgear cloud is not being updated -for some reason- by Orbi of your IP address.

I'd try simply restarting Orbi and see if this will make it update it's address.

If that does not help then please try the following:

- Disable wifi in your phone

- Start the Orbi app

- Select Connect Remotely when you get the foolowing screen:

IMG_1656.png

- You will see the following screen:

IMG_1657.png

- Click on the 3 dots beside your Orbi and then select Remove. Please note if you will see the green dot?

- Activate Wifi again in your phone and start Orbi app

- Select Home >> Settings >> Remote Management

- You will see that Remote Management is now deactivated. Please activate it again and see if this will help.

Message 6 of 15
stuartjsmith
Guide

Hi no it still does not work. The dot is green.
Message 7 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@stuartjsmith wrote:
Hi no it still does not work. The dot is green.

Then I'd go for a factory reset for Orbi and set up from scratch. Uninstall the app and install again before doing the factory reset.

If that does not help then it mucst be something in your netgear cloud account and for that you need to conatct Netgear for support.

Message 8 of 15
ekhalil
Master

One more thing that worths trying. Do you have the Genie app on your phone? Do you get the same results from Genie as well? 

Message 9 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@stuartjsmith Any luck? 🙂

Message 10 of 15
stuartjsmith
Guide

Hi, same result I am afraid. One more thing that might be worth mentioning, I think it stopped working when I changed modem from my isp provided one to a netgear dm200, not sure if there is a setting in there that could be blocking something perhaps. I can see my router in both the orbi app and the genie app, it can even see my WiFi names in the genie app, but as soon as you try to go any further then it is always spinning circles and an eventual error. I am loathe to raise a support ticket since they just do not respond and the help that I have managed to get before has extended as far as ‘try a reboot’, pretty useless!
Message 11 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@stuartjsmith wrote:
......... One more thing that might be worth mentioning, I think it stopped working when I changed modem from my isp provided one to a netgear dm200, ......

Then for sure this is the reason. The manual for this modem is here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DM200/DM200_UM_EN.pdf

Is the Modem set to work as Modem Only? See page 69 in the manual

Since you are using Orbi as router, the following features would interfere with the Orbi's routing functionality:

- WAN Security settings, page 56 in the manual (You have similar security protection n Orbi)

- NAT filtering (page 56)

- SIP ALG (Page 57)

- Use Router as DHCP Server (Page 59).

I think that all these functionalities will be disabled once you set the DM200 to Modem Only as mentioned above.

Message 12 of 15
stuartjsmith
Guide

Hi,

It is already set to modem only mode. The whole reason I swapped it is because my previous isp modem/router did not have a modem only mode option,

Thank you though!
Message 13 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@stuartjsmith wrote:
Hi,

It is already set to modem only mode. The whole reason I swapped it is because my previous isp modem/router did not have a modem only mode option,

Thank you though!

Ok, in modem mode, is it possible to do the following:

- WAN Security settings, page 56 in the manual (You have similar security protection n Orbi)

- SIP ALG (Page 57)

Message 14 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@ekhalil wrote:

- SIP ALG (Page 57)

It looks that when you try to remotely access your Orbi from the app, Netgear cloud creates a VPN towards your Orbi to establish a secure connection between your device and Orbi. It seems that your ISP router is blocking this VPN request, although it's set in Modem mode, seems that this mode is not working as it should.

I's try to remove the Modem only mode and "manually" create that mode by disabling the following:

- SIP ALG (Page 57)

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series