× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router of AC3000 sticks to 2.3.5.30 after many trying to updating to 2.5.1.8

chenphawk
Follower

Router of AC3000 sticks to 2.3.5.30 after many trying to updating to 2.5.1.8

I use IOS app to manage my orbi system. In the past a few weeks, I noticed there is update prompts when I open the app sometimes, that prompts me to update from 2.3.5.30 to 2.5.1.8. 

I followed the prompts and got sucessful update prompt. My two satelites got the 2.5.1.8, but router is still using 2.3.5.30.

After a few days, a new prompt came, prompting me to do the same update. I followed it. After updating, it said router will reboot and take about 3 min. Then app said it has been suscessfully updated. But during the whole process, my internet is not interrupted at all.

And the router is still with 2.3.5.30. That repeats at least twice.

I reboot manully, and nothing changed.

The firmware list says 2.5.1.8 is the most updated for router and sateliite.

Should I manually update the router's firmware? Thanks

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Router of AC3000 sticks to 2.3.5.30 after many trying to updating to 2.5.1.8

@chenphawk wrote:

There is a spirited debate on the community forum about firmware 2.5.1.8.  Some of us have been using it since January with no problems. (My, for example.)  Others have updated to 2.5.1.8 and found themselves battling horrible situations.  No one has (as yet) offered a technical explanation for the different experiences.  It remains a mystery.

My general feeling is, "If it ain't broke, please don't fix it."  Does the Orbi system do what you want?  Are you happy with the performance?

If you do decide, "What the heck, I want to make my router and satellites have the latest firmware", that's OK.  Might turn out fine. (It did for me.)  If things, "go to s**t", then you can always download firmware 2.3.5.30 and manually install it on the router and satellites.

Clear as mud?  Sorry.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router of AC3000 sticks to 2.3.5.30 after many trying to updating to 2.5.1.8

You can manually download FW update files and apply them your self at any time. 

There is new FW available for the 50 series Orbi:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061838/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-1-16

I recommend doing a factory reset and setup from scratch should you see any problems after applying FW updates. 

@chenphawk wrote:

I use IOS app to manage my orbi system. In the past a few weeks, I noticed there is update prompts when I open the app sometimes, that prompts me to update from 2.3.5.30 to 2.5.1.8. 

I followed the prompts and got sucessful update prompt. My two satelites got the 2.5.1.8, but router is still using 2.3.5.30.

After a few days, a new prompt came, prompting me to do the same update. I followed it. After updating, it said router will reboot and take about 3 min. Then app said it has been suscessfully updated. But during the whole process, my internet is not interrupted at all.

And the router is still with 2.3.5.30. That repeats at least twice.

I reboot manully, and nothing changed.

The firmware list says 2.5.1.8 is the most updated for router and sateliite.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7