Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Satellite Issues

Michaelharris99
Aspirant

Satellite Issues

I have an AC2200 mini router. It solved my problem of being able to access my office system in the same manner as being there. But I have a satellite problem. My Orbi is at one end of a 3,000 sq ft home. The two satellites have slow WiFi just on basic websites. I downloaded the firmware yesterday as the rep suggested. The only way to quickly go to another site is to go back to my Comcast router and get off the Orbi router. Why?
Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Michaelharris99 wrote:
I have an AC2200 mini router. It solved my problem of being able to access my office system in the same manner as being there. But I have a satellite problem. My Orbi is at one end of a 3,000 sq ft home. The two satellites have slow WiFi just on basic websites. I downloaded the firmware yesterday as the rep suggested. The only way to quickly go to another site is to go back to my Comcast router and get off the Orbi router. Why?

It would help to have more information.

• The CBR40 is a combination modem/router/WiFi that is intended to replace an ISP modem/router/WiFi.
    Is that what you have done? (replaced the Comcast device)
  • Or, do you have the Orbi connected to the existing Comcast device (i.e. not using the Orbi modem feature)?
  • Can you describe the placement of the three units?
    How far apart are they?
    When the satellite is powered up, does it get a "blue light" at the top for two minutes?
    https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean 
  • The slow response is when connected to a satellite, correct?
    (Not when connected to the Orbi router.)

Message 2 of 6
Michaelharris99
Aspirant

It is connected to my Comcast router. How do I use otherwise? The satellites are about 50 feet away from the Orbi. Slow connected to the satellite yes
Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Michaelharris99 wrote:
It is connected to my Comcast router. How do I use otherwise? The satellites are about 50 feet away from the Orbi. Slow connected to the satellite yes

This answer is in two parts:

• The CBR40 contains a DOCSIS3.0 cable modem as part of the product.
    https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/CBR40.pdf 
    Most people who purchase the CBR40 do so intending to replace their cable modem.  It is a bit unusual for someone to buy this product without intending to do so, unless it was simply the only product available or they "got a good deal" on it.
    The concept is that the coax cable which currently is connected to the Comcast device would be moved to the Orbi.
    The Orbi would then be the only device connected to Comcast.
    Before doing that, it is important to check out a few things, such as:
    * Do you have anything connected to the Comcast device besides the Orbi?
    * Do you get telephone service from the Comcast device?
    * Are any WiFi devices in the house connected to the Comcast WiFi?
  • Independent of this, "Very Slow" at the satellite and "Not Slow" at the router probably has nothing to do with the Orbi being connected to the Comcast device.  This is more likely an indication that 50 ft. away is "too far" for a good backhaul connection between the satellite(s) and the Orbi router.
    Assuming that the satellites got a "blue light" when connected and that the Orbi web interface Attached Devices web page shows a "good" connection for the satellites, I would want to double check the backhaul connection as follows:
    * open http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm
    * check the box "Enable Telnet"
    * Use a telnet program to access the Orbi router.  (Windows has telnet built in, but it has to be activated on the Programs and Features" control panel, "Activate Windows Features."  There are free apps for Macs, tablets, smartphones, etc.
    * Log into the Orbi router using the web interface credentials "admin" and the admin password.
    * Type the command satelliteinfo  wifi

This is what my Orbi reports:
    root@RBR50:/# satelliteinfo wifi
    {
    "mac address" : "A0:04:60:xx:xx:xx",
    "hop" : "1",
    "bridge mac" : "A0:04:60:xx:xx:xx",
    "backhaul conntype" : "5GHz",
    "backhaul rssi" : "-71",
    "backhaul macaddress" : "A0:04:60:xx:xx:xx",
    "backhaul phytxrate" : "975",
    "backhaul phyrxrate" : "780",
    "backhaul parentmac" : "A0:04:60:xx:xx:xx"
    }

Notice the parts that are highlighted.  My backhaul link is 5G and the transmit and receive rates are substantial.

What does your Orbi report?

Message 4 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

@Michaelharris99 wrote:

What is the model of the Comcast router? What is your Comcast router connected to? 50 feet is a far distance for the model Orbi you purchased. It would be fine if it was line of site with no obstructions.

Since your satellites are all wireless, placement is important. Instead of possibly putting them at far ends at the edge of the home, move them closer to each other, so each satellite benefits from a more 360 degree coverage. Is Daisy Chaining turned on?

Message 5 of 6
Michaelharris99
Aspirant

Some of the questions raised require me to go to our I.t. department. But the Comcast router, XFSETUP- A9A4, has a white round cable connected to the wall. It can not connect to my Orbi.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7