Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Scheduled Reboot - crond and cronjob

imaz
Aspirant

Scheduled Reboot - crond and cronjob

Hi,

There is no option for a scheduled restart of the router through the Web Interface, although each router should have this option by default as a weekly restart of any router is almost required.

I have enabled telnet, but how do I enable the crond daemon in busybox?  I can telnet into the router, and all the required commands are there such as reboot, crond, so there must be an option for me to add an entry for a cronjob to reboot at a specified time of each week.

Any ideas?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
imaz
Aspirant

Re: Scheduled Reboot - crond and cronjob

Found it, it works fine with the unix normal cronjobs.

Example below (reboots at 1am everyday):

01:00 * * * /sbin/reboot

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

An interesting development.  Thanks for sharing.  Although, I take exception to the theory that "a weekly restart of any router is almost required".  My Orbi has remained on-line for over 100 days several times without problem. It would have gone longer, but I decided to mess around with firmware updates. 

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

If a restart or reboot is needed frequenty, this means there is a problem with the Orbi system or the envrionment or configuration that the system is currently in. It would need to be investigated to see where the real problem is. Scheduled reboots are just covering up the real cause of the problem. 

Message 4 of 7
imaz
Aspirant

Mine seems to perform slow over wifi devices, drops out of simply doesn’t want to route traffic. It’s even worst when my kids play their pc games and the satellite takes higher priorities over clients as the pc is connected over Ethernet on one of the satellite.

I mainly use the Orbi(RBR50) as an AP, with 3x Satellite (2x RBS50, 1xRBV40), and my main router is an Asus RT-AC88U. Simply because the Asus has a better router management interface.

I just realised although I can schedule the reboot over a cronjob, the telnet and cronjobs are not static! I still need to enable telnet after the reboot, and need to re add the cronjob....

Message 5 of 7
imaz
Aspirant

Possibly a problem or architecture fault in my setup - I did raise this during my engineering testing, but it was not rectified.
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration? or directly wired to the host router?

I presume all wifi is turned off on the main host router.

What other wifi devices do you have running? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Above suggestions working:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925

@imaz wrote:
Mine seems to perform slow over wifi devices, drops out of simply doesn’t want to route traffic. It’s even worst when my kids play their pc games and the satellite takes higher priorities over clients as the pc is connected over Ethernet on one of the satellite.

I mainly use the Orbi(RBR50) as an AP, with 3x Satellite (2x RBS50, 1xRBV40), and my main router is an Asus RT-AC88U. Simply because the Asus has a better router management interface.

I just realised although I can schedule the reboot over a cronjob, the telnet and cronjobs are not static! I still need to enable telnet after the reboot, and need to re add the cronjob....

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7