Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting ORBI RBK 50 up as second wireless network where Other router is DHCP server

pjcook
Aspirant

Setting ORBI RBK 50 up as second wireless network where Other router is DHCP server

I have an internet connection using my ISP’s router that also runsa wireless network. I want to use the ORBI to setup a second wireless network to extend the internet to my shed. I have tried with DHCP activated on the ORBI and it worked OK but all of the devices were on a 10.0.0.x network where the cabled devices and wireless connected to the other network are 192.168.0.x. When I disable DHCP on the ORBI I still have the devices on the 10 network and the ORBI network is not stable. What am I doing wrong?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Setting ORBI RBK 50 up as second wireless network where Other router is DHCP server

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

I beleive #3 will be your best option.

Message 2 of 4
pjcook
Aspirant

Option 3 is the best configuration. Is it possible to keep the wireless networks on both the modem and the ORBI? Reason being the modem wireless network covers the house very well and the ORBI will extend the network to the shed which is 30 metres from the house so my plan is to have the satellite in the shed. 

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

If you can keep the channels far appart between them, so on the modem you would set 2.4Ghz to channel 1 and 5Ghz to channel 140s or higher. On the Orbi you would set 2.4Ghz to channel 11 and 5Ghz to channel 36. Placement will be key and you may see some wifi problems. Keep the modems wifi fair appart from the Orbi base router and satellites. IF seem to run into issues, disable the modems wifi and test...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7